Born in Erlangen, he studied in Leipzig and Berlin, being habilitated in 1874 as a lecturer of Semitic languages and Assyriology in Leipzig. In 1885 he became a full professor at Leipzig, afterwards serving as a professor at the Universities of Breslau (1893) and Berlin (1899).
He was co-founder of the Deutschen Orientgesellschaft (German Oriental Society) and director of the Vorderasiatischen Abteilung (Near Eastern Department) of the Royal Museums.
der Babel und Bibel-Streit
Friedrich Delitzsch specialized in the study of ancient Middle Eastern languages, and published numerous works on Assyrian language, history and culture. He is remembered today for his scholarly critique of the Old Testament. In a 1902 controversial lecture titled "Babel and Bible", Delitzsch maintained that many Old Testament writings were borrowed from ancient Babylonian tales, including the stories of the Creation and Flood from the Book of Genesis. During the following years there were several translations and modified versions of the "Babel and Bible". In the early 1920s, Delitzsch published the two-part Die große Täuschung (The Great Deception), which was a critical treatise on the book of Psalms, prophets of the Old Testament, the invasion of Canaan, etc. Delitzsch also stridently questioned the historical accuracy of the Hebrew Bible and placed great emphasis on its numerous examples of immorality (see also Julius Wellhausen).
Influence and legacy
Although Delitszch's proposal to replace the Old Testament with German myths did not extend to this revision, his student Paul Haupt was one of the major advocates of the thesis of the Aryan Jesus.
- Friedrich Delitzsch (1889). Archibald Robert Stirling Kennedy, ed. Assyrian grammar with paradigms, exercises, glossary and bibliography. Volume 10 of Porta linguarum orientalium. H. Reuther. p. 446. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Friedrich Delitzsch (1896). Assyrisches Handwörterbuch (ATLA monograph preservation program). J.C. Hinrichs. p. 730. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Bruno Meissner, Friedrich Delitzsch (1898). Assyrisches Handwörterbuch. 1896 (ATLA monograph preservation program). E.J. Brill. p. 137. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Susannah Heschel The Aryan Jesus: Christian theologians and the Bible in Nazi Germany
- Works by or about Friedrich Delitzsch at Internet Archive
- Works by or about Friedrich Delitzsch in libraries (WorldCat catalog)