||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
20 October 1915|
Spitz in Radkersburg District, Styria (Austria)
|Died||14 February 1975
Mureck in Radkersburg District, Styria (Austria)
|Years of service||1938–45|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Friedrich Pein (20 October 1915 – 14 February 1975) was a renowned Austrian sniper with the German army during World War II, and one of two to have been awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, the other being Matthias Hetzenauer.
The son of a farmer, Pein enlisted in the Wehrmacht in October 1938. His first combat role came as a sniper in the 12th Company, III Battalion, Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 143, 6th Mountain Division, serving in the Soviet Union.
At the start of 1944, he was transferred to the 2nd Company, I Battalion, Jäger-Regiment 227, 100th Jäger Division, where he served in the Adolf Grubinger Group. He was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class on December 1, and eight days later was awarded the 1st Class.
Over the course of the war, he was wounded three times before being captured and held as a POW.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (1 December 1944)
- 1st Class (9 December 1944)
- Wounded badge in Black and Silver
- Sniper's Badge in Gold
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 28 February 1945 as Oberjäger and sniper in the 2./Jäger-Regiment 227
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 334.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 586.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.