|Elevation||2,447 ft (746 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|Area code(s)||458 and 541|
|Coordinates and elevation from United States Geological Survey|
Friend is an unincorporated community in Wasco County in the U.S. state of Oregon. Considered a ghost town, little remains of the community except the Friend Store, a one-room schoolhouse, and a cemetery.
Friend was the end of the line on the Great Southern Railroad. The line was built in 1908 from Dufur, which connected to The Dalles. The depot was closed and service ended on January 5, 1928; the line was abandoned in 1935. Few signs of the track still exist.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22.0 °C). According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Friend has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- "Friend". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project:Wasco County
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 385. ISBN 978-0875952772.
- Railroad Commission of Oregon (1913). Sixth Annual Report of the Railroad Commission of Oregon to the Governor. Salem, Oregon: Willis S. Duniway, State Printer. p. 165. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- "Oregon Topographic Map". Acme Labs. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- "Friend, Oregon". Weatherbase. CantyMedia. 2014. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Image of Friend, Oregon schoolhouse
- Historic image of abandoned building in Friend from Salem Public Library
|This Wasco County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|