Friends (1999 film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Produced by||Ousepachan Valakuzhy|
|Edited by||T.R. Shekhar |
|Distributed by||Lal Release|
PJ Entertainments UK
|Budget||₹2 crore (US$290,000)|
|Box office||₹11 crore (US$1.6 million)|
Friends is a 1999 Indian Malayalam-language comedy drama film written and directed by Siddique, produced by Lal and starring Jayaram, Mukesh, Sreenivasan and Meena. It was later remade into Tamil with the same name (2001) and into Telugu as Snehamante Idera (2001) and Oriya as Dosti.
The three people who lend reason to the title are Aravindan (Jayaram), Chandu (Mukesh) and Joy (Sreenivasan). They value friendship over everything else, even family, and for this reason, Chandu resists the advances of Aravindan's sister Uma (Divya Unni). When the trio take up a painter's job at a mansion, Aravindan falls in love with Padmini (Meena), who lives there and Padmini's jealous cousin makes him believe that his overtures are reciprocated. When the truth is revealed and Padmini rejects him outright, Chandu stands up for his friend and speaks ill of her. This makes her swear to separate the friends.
After the marriage, Aravindan realises the hand of Abhinaya behind all the mishaps and Padmini too realises Chandu is innocent. Then the marriage of Chandu and Uma is arranged. This is not liked by Uma's aunt Ammayi (Sukumari) who leads to a break in friendship between the protagonists. Subsequently, friendship between Aravindan and Chandu breaks, and in an accident from the hand of Chandru Aravindan is paralysed. Years later, Chandu is brought to Aravindan by Joy, and amidst all the accusations that Chandu hears, an emotionally overwhelmed Aravindan shows the first sign of movement, a tear falling from his eye, since his accident.
- Jayaram as Aravindan
- Mukesh as Chandu
- Sreenivasan as Chackachamparambil Joy
- Meena as Padmini (Voice dubbed by Bhagyalakshmi)
- Divya Unni as Uma (Aravindan's Sister) (Voice dubbed by Sreeja Ravi)
- Jagathi Sreekumar as Chackachamparambil Lasar
- Janardanan as Madhava Varma
- Cochin Haneefa as Manager Sundareshan
- V. K. Sreeraman as Justice Sankara Menon
- T. P. Madhavan as Poonkulathu Damodara Menon
- Sukumari as Ammayi
- Kavitha as Aravindan's mother (voice dubbed by Anandavally)
- Zeenath as Lalitha
- Machan Varghese as Kunjappan
- Mani C. Kappan as Cyriac
- Joju George
- Kollam Ajith as Goonda
- Vaishnav Balachandran as Aravindan's son
- Lal (uncredited appearance in the song "Pularikkinnam")
|1||"Kadal Kattin"||K. J. Yesudas|
|2||"Pularikkinnam"||M. G. Sreekumar, Chandrasekhar|
|3||"Panjami Thinkal"||M. G. Sreekumar|
|4||"Thankakkinaponkal"||K. J. Yesudas, K. S. Chitra|
|5||"Punnaram Poove"||K. S. Chitra|
|6||"Sivamallippoove"||K. S. Chitra|
|7||"Kadal Kattin"||Sujatha Mohan|
The film was highest grossing Malayalam movie of 1999 and collected ₹11 crore.
- "Porn again". India Today. 26 June 2000.
- "Know about contractor Lasar Elayappan before you #Pray_for_Nesamani". OnManorama. 30 May 2019. Retrieved 31 May 2019.