Friends of Libraries
Friends of Libraries groups are supported by a division of the American Library Association, called United for Libraries USA. The division was formed in 2009, when "Friends of Libraries U.S.A. (FOLUSA) and the Association for Library Trustees and Advocates (ALTA) joined forces."
Every year, Friends of Libraries groups have their own national week of celebration. It is used to promote and raise awareness of the library's services within the community, and also to promote membership. It also serves as an opportunity for libraries and Boards of Trustees to recognize the Friends for their help and support of the library.
United for Libraries USA provides many resources for Friends of Libraries groups, some of which include the following:
- Book club suggestions
- Fact sheets that include tips on topics such as organizing a Friends Group, how to revitalize your Friends Group, and planning an author event
- A listserv to share ideas
- Free toolkits
- Contact information for existing State Friends Groups
Many organizations collect used books from the community in order to hold book sales to raise money for library programs. Each state and city library organization have their own programs and fundraisers.
Friends of Libraries in the UK can be charities set up to run community libraries, or volunteers who support a public library by fundraising or arranging events for example.
Sometimes Friends groups are set up to campaign against a potential council closures of libraries or reductions in budgets.
- "Friends of the Library". County of Los Angeles Public Library. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "The New Voice for America's Libraries". United for Libraries. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- United for Libraries Resources for Friends Groups http://www.ala.org/united/friends
- "Call for volunteers as library gets go-ahead". Buckingham Advertiser. 2 March 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "Islington's libraries face opening hours cuts". Islington Gazette. 20 June 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- United for Libraries
- Friends of the Library, New York Public Library
- Friends of the San Francisco Public Library
- UK library groups
|This article relating to library science or information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|