Friendship Force International
|Founded||March 1, 1977|
|Jeremi Snook, President & CEO|
Friendship Force International (FFI) is a nonprofit organization with the mission of improving intercultural relations, cultural diplomacy, friendship, and intercultural competence via homestays. The organization operates in more than 60 countries and in 6 continents, with 15,000 active members and over 300 annual programs, called "Journeys".
The program got its foundation in a project established by Presbyterian minister Wayne Smith and then-governor of Georgia Jimmy Carter in 1973, after organizing an exchange program with Pernambuco, Brazil in which the Brazilians stayed in the Georgia Governor's Mansion.
On July 4, 1977, the first exchange took place; it involved 762 members that traveled between Atlanta and Newcastle Upon Tyne. For the first five years, FFI used air charters to shuttle delegations of 150 to 400 visitors between partner cities.
In 1982, the format was changed from large simultaneous homestays to smaller non-simultaneous visits using commercial airlines.
In 1985, FFI instituted the American Russian Mutual Survival program to encourage "the use of arms that embrace rather than arms that destroy" and facilitated exchanges between the United States and the Soviet Union.
Effective November 9, 2015, Jeremi Snook became the 6th President and chief executive officer of the organization.
- Saporta, Maria (December 20, 2019). "Atlanta's Friendship Force launching major global growth plan". American City Business Journals.
- "initiative; Objective includes expanding membership to more than 25,000+" (Press release). Globe Newswire. October 15, 2019.
- Shipp, Randy (March 31, 1981). "The Friendship Force: a foreign exchange for adults". The Christian Science Monitor.
- "A Short History". Friendship Force Perth.
- "Who We Are". Friendship Force International.
- "Friendship Force International Celebrates 35th Anniversary With Major Expansion" (Press release). PRNewswire. February 20, 2012.
- "Joy DiBenedetto, former executive at CNN and CARE press officer, Named president/CEO of Friendship Force International" (Press release). PRNewswire. July 15, 2013.
- "Welcoming our new CEO" (PDF). Friendship Force International.
- "Friendship Force partnership with Global Green and Peace Boat US brings 3 groups together to promote world understanding" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. November 6, 2017.
|Part of a series on|
|Hospitality exchange services|
|Hospitality for work|
|Hospitality for money|