Fritz W. Scharpf
Fritz W. Scharpf (born February 12, 1935 in Schwäbisch Hall) is a German professor and Emeritus Director of the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies. His areas of interest include; the organisational problems and decision processes in governments at all levels; the political economy of inflation and unemployment; comparative political economy of the welfare state.
In 2000, Scharpf was awarded the Johan Skytte Prize in Political Science.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 2008 Honorary doctorate of the European University Institute in Florence, Italy
- 2007 Science Prize of the Stifterverband
- 2007 Lifetime Contribution Award in EU Studies from the European Union Studies Association
- 2004 Bielefeld Science Award, (with Renate Mayntz)
- 2004 Great Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- 2003 Honorary Doctorate, Humboldt University Berlin
In a 1988 scholarly article, Scharpf, Fritz W. (1988). 'The Joint-Decision Trap. Lessons From German Federalism and European Integration'. Public Administration, Vol. 66, No. 2. pp. 239–78., he identified a situation labelled joint decision trap, in which there is a tendency for government decisions to be taken at the lowest common denominator in situations where the decision-makers have the ability to veto the proposals. It is common challenge for federal governments, such as Germany, and the European Union.
- "Untitled 1". Mpifg.de. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- "Books by Author "SCHARPF, Fritz W"". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Goodreads - Books by Fritz W Scharpf". Goodreads.com. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "The Joint-Decision Trap: Lessons from German Federalism and European integration". Onlinelibrary.wiley.com. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "The Joint-Decision Trap Revisited". 2.lse.ac.uk. London School of Economics. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Introduction: The EU's Decision Traps and their Exits, A Concept for Comparative Analysis" (PDF). Retrieved 14 August 2012.[permanent dead link] by Gerda Falkner
- "Who governs the environmental policy in the EU? A study of the process towards a common climate target". Cicero.uio.no. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- Seite von Prof. Dr. Fritz W. Scharpf at the Max-Planck-Institut für Gesellschaftsforschung / Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies in German
|This biography of a political scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|