15 May 1975 |
|Genres||Jazz Contemporary classical Experimental music Folk|
Haltli started to play the accordion at the age of seven and over the following few years he won several national competitions and scholarships and was awarded first prize in Norwegian TV's Talentiaden 1991. He studied the accordion at The Norwegian Academy of Music in Oslo from 1994 and at the Royal Danish Conservatory of Music in Copenhagen, where he debuted with a concert in 2000.
He was awarded the Young Soloist of the Year prize 2001 by the Norwegian Concert Institute at the Bergen International Festival 2000, as well as second prize in the prestigious International Gaudeamus Interpreters Competition in the Netherlands.
His debut album Looking on Darkness (2002) was awarded Spellemannprisen (a Norwegian Grammy) for the best contemporary music album. He also received the French Prix Gus Viseur in 2004 for the same album. His next album Passing images (2007) featured his own interpretations of Norwegian folk. He was joined by Arve Henriksen, Garth Knox and Maja Ratkje on this album.
Frode currently (2015) lives in Svartskog, close to Oslo but frequently tours abroad, in Europe, Russia, America and Asia. He also teaches accordion at The Norwegian Academy of Music in Oslo. He has performed as a soloist with major orchestras around the world and is actively working with chamber music—the trio POING taking up much of his time currently. The trio, with Rolf-Erik Nystrøm on the saxophone and Håkon Thelin on the double bass, mainly performs contemporary music.
He also often plays with Trygve Seim (with whom he released the CD 'Yeraz' on ECM in 2008), the Norwegian folk group Rusk, with singer Unni Løvlid and fiddler Vegar Vårdal, as well as in a duo with fiddler Gjermund Larsen and in trio with Ragnhild Furebotten and Emilia Amper.
- 2002: Looking on Darkness (ECM New Series), with the Vertavo String Quartet
- 2007: Passing images (ECM)
- 2012: Arne Nordheim Complete Accordion Works (Simax Classics)
- 2014: Vagabonde Blu (Hubro/Grappa)
- With POING
- 2003: Giants of Jazz (LLRR)
- 2005: Planet POING (Jazzaway)
- 2011: Wach auf! (Øra Fonogram), featuring Maja Ratkje
- With Trygve Seim
- 2008: Yeraz (ECM)
- With Maja Ratkje
- 2008: River Mouth Echoes (Tzadik) (POING: essential extensions)
- With RUSK
- "Frode Haltli". Biography. Store Norske Leksikon. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "Frode Haltli". Discography. Discogs. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Layman, Will (2007-12-09). "Frode Haltli: Passing Images". PopMatters.com. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Johansen, Carl Kristian (2008-09-26). "Trygve Seim, Frode Haltli – Yeraz". Musical reviews. Ballade.no. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frode Haltli.|