From Beginning to End
|From Beginning to End|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Aluizio Abranches|
|Written by||Aluizio Abranches|
|Music by||André Abujambra|
|Edited by||Fábio S. Limma|
|Distributed by||TLA Releasing|
From Beginning to End (Portuguese: Do Começo ao Fim) is a 2009 Brazilian romantic drama film directed by Aluizio Abranches, starring Fábio Assunção, Júlia Lemmertz, Gabriel Kaufmann, Lucas Cotrim, João Gabriel Vasconcellos and Rafael Cardoso. It premiered in Brazil on November 27, 2009. The film deals with two types of relationship that are often considered taboos (homosexuality and incest). Abranches claims that his only intention was to tell a love story.
The release of the film in Brazil, with only nine copies, was seen by almost 100,000 spectators, leading the film to be on the list of the top 10 most watched Brazilian films of 2009. It was shown in more than 30 national and international festivals, and it was also commercialized in more than 30 countries. In 2010 it was released in DVD in Brazil with success. In France, after a very successful premiere in the movie theaters, the first edition of the DVD and Blu-ray was sold out in less than two weeks, and it became a best seller till nowadays in international websites such as Fnac and amazon.com.
- 1986 — Thomás is born with his eyes closed, and he does not open them for several weeks following the birth. Julieta, his mother, is unconcerned, believing that when Thomás is ready and wants to open his eyes, he will. These events instill a strong belief in free will in young Thomás. Two weeks after his birth, Thomás opens his eyes, apparently to look directly at his five-year-old half-brother Francisco.
- 1992 — Julieta is a wife and a loving mother, working in a hospital emergency department. Her free-spirited youngest son, Thomás, is the product of her marriage to her second husband Alexandre. Pedro, her first husband and father of her eldest son Francisco, lives in Argentina. Pedro and Julieta remain good friends. During childhood, Francisco and Thomás are very close, perhaps too close according to Pedro, with whom they spend a Christmas holiday in Buenos Aires. Julieta is aware of their close relationship and tries to remain understanding. Not long later, Pedro dies.
- 2008 — Years later, when Francisco is 27 and Thomás 22, Julieta dies. The brothers become lovers and an unusual love story ensues. Thomás is invited to live and train in Russia for a few years in preparation for the Olympics. Though it is the first time they will be apart, Thomás leaves. Francisco struggles without Thomás. He meets a woman in a club and though he tries to pursue a relationship with her, they both realize he is dedicated to someone else. Unable to be apart any longer, Francisco travels to Russia and the brothers reunite.
- Rafael Cardoso as Thomás
- Gabriel Kaufmann as Thomás at age six
- João Gabriel Vasconcellos as Francisco
- Lucas Cotrim as Francisco at age 11
- Júlia Lemmertz as Julieta
- Fábio Assunção as Alexandre
- Jean Pierre Noher as Pedro
- Louise Cardoso as Rosa
- Mausi Martínez
|Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|1.||"O Leãozinho"||Caetano Veloso||3:39|
|2.||"Lágrimas de Diamantes"||Paulinho Moska||4:15|
|3.||"Ne me quitte pas"||Maria Gadú||5:47|
|4.||"Tango pra Tereza"||Ney Matogrosso||4:05|
|6.||"Porque Eu Sei Que é Amor"||Titãs||4:17|
|7.||"Folhas de Outono"||Zizi Possi and Ana Carolina||3:46|
|8.||"Presente Passado"||Isabela Taviani||4:36|
|9.||"Um Dia Um Adeus"||Vanessa da Mata||4:14|
|10.||"Seu Olhar"||Seu Jorge||4:00|
|11.||"Bilhete no Fim"||Paulinho Moska||3:58|
|12.||"Vidas Inteiras"||Adriana Calcanhotto||4:12|
|13.||"Repare nos Meus Olhos"||Zélia Duncan||3:49|
|14.||"Canção de Amor"||Bebel Gilberto||4:45|
|15.||"Bem Pra Você"||Simone||3:44|
|16.||"Se Chovesse Você"||Eliana Printes and Chico César||4:58|
|17.||"Saudade"||Lenine and Maria Bethânia||3:45|
|18.||"Todo Sentimento"||Chico Buarque||5:04|
|19.||"Só Vou Gostar de Quem Gosta de Mim"||Eliana Printes||5:18|
|20.||"Outono"||Angela Ro Ro||3:29|
|21.||"Suburbano Coração"||Monica Salmaso||3:34|
|22.||"Summer 78"||Yann Tiersen||3:06|
The film attracted more than 10,000 viewers during its weekend debut. Playing in only nine theaters, the film finished sixth place during its opening weekend.
The director put the film's trailer on YouTube, generating more than 400,000 views and comments which ranged from outrage to enthusiasm.
Box office performance
From Beginning to End grossed $62,081 in nine theaters its opening weekend, $365,094 in second weekend, the film finished sixth place during its opening weekend. The film went on to gross $386,049 in Brazil and $14,373 in Taiwan, for a foreign total of $400,422.
The film received mixed reviews, some praising it for retaining a good plot while transcending boundaries and others condemning it as an ordinary plot using the subject matter to gain attention.
- BOX OFFICE - FROM BEGINNING TO END.
- From Beginning to End (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack).
- "'Lua nova' ultrapassa 3 milhões de espectadores e já é o sétimo filme mais visto do ano no Brasil". December 1, 2009. Retrieved December 2, 2009.
- SIFF.net. Archived 2010-06-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- From Beginning to End - Box Office.
- From Beginning to End - Weekend Box Office.
- Review - DVD Verdict - Brett Cullum. Archived 2011-07-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- Entertainment Film News - Jorge Ameer.
- GayCelluloid - David Hall.