From Time to Time (film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|From Time to Time|
|Directed by||Julian Fellowes|
|Written by||Lucy M. Boston|
Carice van Houten
|Distributed by||Ealing Studios|
From Time to Time is a 2009 British fantasy drama film directed by Julian Fellowes and starring Maggie Smith, Timothy Spall, Carice van Houten, Alex Etel, Eliza Bennett, Elisabeth Dermot-Walsh, Dominic West, Hugh Bonneville, Kwayedza Kureya, and Pauline Collins. It was adapted from Lucy M. Boston's children's novel The Chimneys of Green Knowe (1958). The film was shot in Athelhampton Hall, Dorset.
This British ghostly, haunting story spanning two worlds, a century apart, is set in 1944, near the end of the Second World War. Tolly (Alex Etel) arrives at his grandmother's country house, Green Knowe, after his father is reported missing in action. His grandmother (Maggie Smith) is faced with selling Green Knowe for financial reasons. Tolly soon discovers that he can magically travel in time between the present and the 19th century in the old manor house, and he begins an adventure that unlocks family secrets laid buried for generations. Exciting events include a terrible fire, a tale of stolen jewels and threats of a press gang.
- Alex Etel as Tolly Oldknow
- Timothy Spall as Boggis
- Maggie Smith as Mrs Thomas Oldknow
- Hugh Bonneville as Captain Thomas Oldknow
- Pauline Collins as Mrs Tweedle
- Harriet Walter as Lady Gresham
- Vanessa Redgrave as Gypsy fortune-teller
- Elisabeth Dermot Walsh as Joan
- Dugald Bruce-Lockhart as David
- Eliza Hope Bennett as Susan Oldknow
- Rachel Bell as Perkins
- Dominic West as John Caxton
- Carice van Houten as Maria Oldknow
- Douglas Booth as Sefton Oldknow
- Jenny McCracken as Mrs Gross
- Christine Lohr as Mrs Robbins
- Allen Leech as Fred Boggis
- Alan Charlesworth as Robert the Footman
- Kwayedza Kureya as Jacob
- Helen Kennedy as Nellie
- Daisy Lewis as Rose
- David Robb as Lord Farrar
- Anthony Gordon Lennox as Carbery
- Denise Stephenson as Mrs Carbery
- Christopher Villiers as Officer
- Lynn Farleigh as Gypsy
- Cornelius Booth
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a score of 43% fresh rating based on reviews from seven critics and a rating average of 5.9 out of 10. Tom Huddleston of Time Out described the film as "an emotionally wise but logically skewed children’s tale", the logical inconsistencies of which "largely restricts the film’s appeal to bookish pre-teens". Henry Fitzherbert of the Daily Express praised the actors' performances, particularly Smith's, and noted that it "casts a magical spell by the touching conclusion".
- From Time to Time on IMDb
- From Time To Time. Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Huddlestone, Tom (20 October 2009). From Time To Time | review. Timeout.com. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Fitzherbert, Henry (1 October 2010). From Time To Time film review and trailer. Express.co.uk. Retrieved 25 August 2013.