From Time to Time (film)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
|From Time to Time|
|Directed by||Julian Fellowes|
|Written by||Lucy M. Boston
Carice van Houten
|Distributed by||Ealing Studios|
From Time to Time is a 2009 British adventure film directed by Julian Fellowes and starring Maggie Smith, Timothy Spall, Carice van Houten, Alex Etel, Eliza Bennett, Elisabeth Dermot-Walsh, Dominic West, Hugh Bonneville, Kwayedza Kureya, and Pauline Collins. It was adapted from Lucy M. Boston's children's novel The Chimneys of Green Knowe (1958). The film was shot in Athelhampton Hall, Dorset.
This British ghostly haunting story spanning two worlds, two centuries apart, is set in 1944, towards the end of World War II. Tolly, 13, arrives at his grandmother's country house, Green Knowe, after his father is reported missing in action. His grandmother (Maggie Smith) is faced with selling Green Knowe because of financial reasons. Tolly finds he can travel mysteriously between the present and the 1800s, and he begins an adventure that unlocks family secrets laid buried for generations. Exciting events include a terrible fire, a tale of stolen jewels, and threats of a press gang.
- Maggie Smith as Mrs. Oldknow
- Alex Etel as Tolly
- Timothy Spall as Boggis
- Pauline Collins as Mrs. Tweedle
- Eliza Bennett as Susan (as Eliza Hope Bennett)
- Rachel Bell as Perkins
- Dominic West as Caxton
- Carice van Houten as Maria Oldknow
- Douglas Booth as Sefton
- Jenny McCracken as Mrs. Gross
- Christine Lohr as Mrs. Robbins
- Allen Leech as Fred Boggis
- Hugh Bonneville as Captain Oldknow
- Kwayedza Kureya as Jacob
- Harriet Walter as Lady Gresham
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a score of 43% fresh rating based on reviews from seven critics and a rating average of 5.9 out of 10. Tom Huddleston of Time Out described the film as "an emotionally wise but logically skewed children’s tale", the logical inconsistencies of which "largely restricts the film’s appeal to bookish pre-teens". Henry Fitzherbert of the Daily Express praised the actors' performances, particularly Smith's, and noted that it "casts a magical spell by the touching conclusion".
- From Time to Time at the Internet Movie Database
- From Time To Time. Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Huddlestone, Tom (2009-10-20). From Time To Time | review. Timeout.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Fitzherbert, Henry (2010-10-01). From Time To Time film review and trailer. Express.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-08-25.