From a Whisper
|From a Whisper|
|Directed by||Wanuri Kahiu|
|Produced by||Kuxi Ghai|
|Written by||Wanuri Kahiu|
|Screenplay by||Wanuri Kahiu|
|Music by||Eric Wainaina|
|Cinematography||Marius van Graan|
|Edited by||Chris King|
From a Whisper is a Kenyan drama film written and directed by African Movie Academy Award winner Wanuri Kahiu. The film received 12 nominations and won 5 awards at the African Movie Academy Awards in 2009, including Best Picture, Best Original Soundtrack, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and AMAA Achievement in Editing. The film also won the Best Feature Narrative award at the 2010 Pan African Film & Arts Festival, and was honored with the 2010 BAFTA/LA Festival Choice Prize. Although the film commemorates the 10th anniversary of the August 7th terrorist bombing in Kenya in 1998, it is not about the terrorist bombing. The movie portrays a realistic story of the aftermath of the bombing, by capturing the lives of the victims and their families who had to pick up the pieces of their lives shredded by the blast.
From a Whisper is based on the real events surrounding the 7 August bomb attacks on the US Embassy in Nairobi in 1998. Abu is an intelligence officer who keeps to himself. When he meets Tamani, a young, rebellious artist in search of her mother, he decides to help. The discovery of her death churns up memories of Fareed, Abu’s best friend who also lost his life in the attack. The discovery forces them to learn how to forgive, to believe in themselves, and confront what they fear the most – the truth.
- Ken Ambani
- Abubakar Mwenda
- Godfrey Odhiambo
- Corine Onyango
- Festival Internacional de Zanzíbar 2009
- Festival Internacional de Kenya 2009
- Africa Movie Academy Awards 2010
- "African Film Festival of Cordoba-FCAT (license CC BY-SA)".
- "Release Date, From a Whisper". Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- "AMAA 2009: List of Winners and Nominees". African Movie Academy Award. Archived from the original on 5 April 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2010.
- "Filmmaker Awards". Los Angeles, USA: Pan African Film Festival. Archived from the original on 22 July 2010. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- "BAFTA/LA partners with Pan African Film and Arts Festival". Los Angeles, USA: British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- "Official Website". Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- "From a Whisper: Brief Review". Retrieved 2009-10-21.
|This article related to a Kenyan film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2000s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|