From the Beginning (Small Faces album)
|From the Beginning|
|Studio album by Small Faces|
|Released||2 June 1967|
IBC Studios, Portland Place, London
|Genre||Rock, rhythm and blues, psychedelic pop, beat|
Steve Marriott, Ronnie Lane
|Small Faces chronology|
From the Beginning is the second studio album by the English rock band the Small Faces. It was released by Decca Records of group material after the band had left the record label; it consisted of the band's Decca hit singles combined with various unreleased recordings. The album rose to Number 17 in the UK Album Chart.
The album was released by Don Arden on Decca after the group had made a switch to the Immediate label headed by Andrew Loog Oldham. The album contains their hit records on Decca including their number one song "All or Nothing". The album also includes a cover of Del Shannon's classic hit song "Runaway", and other previously unissued songs which were apparently demos.
- Decca Records (vinyl) (mono) - Catalogue No. LK 4879
- Side one
- "Runaway" (Max Crook, Del Shannon)*
- "My Mind's Eye"
- "Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow"*
- "That Man"*
- "My Way of Giving"* (different from Immediate remake)
- "Hey Girl"
- "(Tell Me) Have You Ever Seen Me"* (different from Immediate remake)
- Side two
- "Come Back and Take This Hurt Off Me" (Don Covay, Ron Miller)*
- "All or Nothing"
- "Baby Don't You Do It" (Holland-Dozier-Holland)*
- "Plum Nellie" (Steve Cropper, Al Jackson, Jr., Booker T. Jones, Lewie Steinberg)*
- "Sha-La-La-La-Lee" (Kenny Lynch, Mort Shuman)
- "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" (Smokey Robinson)*
- "Whatcha Gonna Do About It" (Brian Potter, Ian Samwell)
(* previously unissued)
- Steve Marriott - lead guitar (all tracks), lead (1-2, 5-9, 11-14) and backing vocals
- Ronnie Lane - bass, backing and lead (3, 4) vocals
- Kenney Jones - drums, percussion
- Ian McLagan - keyboards/backing vocals (1-9, 11-13)
- Jimmy Winston - keyboards/backing vocals (14), lead vocals/rhythm guitar (10)
- 1967 Format LP Label/Deram - Catalog # 4633
- 1967 Format LP Label/Decca - Catalog # 4879
- 1990 Format CD Label/Polygram - Catalog # 820766
- 1997 Format CD Label/Deram - Catalog # 844633
- 1997 Format CD Label/PolyGram - Catalog # 820766
- 1997 Format CD Label/London Records - Catalog #820 766
- 1997 Format CD Label/Polygram Intl. - Catalog # 844633
- 2006 Format CD Label/Universal/Polygram - Catalog #9069
- 2012 Format 2 CD Deluxe Edition Label/Universal/Sanctuary Records
- Paolo Hewitt John Hellier (2004). Steve Marriott - All Too Beautiful.... Helter Skelter Publishing ISBN 1-900924-44-7.
- Paolo Hewitt/Kenney Jones (1995) small faces the young mods' forgotten story - Acid Jazz ISBN 0-9523935-0-6