From the Rough
|From the Rough|
|Directed by||Pierre Bagley|
|Produced by||Pierre Bagley
Michael J. Critelli
Kevin E. Hooks
|Written by||Michael A. Critelli
|Starring||Taraji P. Henson
Michael Clarke Duncan
|Edited by||Guy Ross|
From The Rough Productions 
|Distributed by||Freestyle Releasing|
|Budget||almost $7 million|
From the Rough is a sports drama film based on the true story of Catana Starks, a former Tennessee State Tigers swim coach, who became the first woman ever to coach a college men’s golf team. With drive, passion, and guts, she took an unruly group of mismatched kids from around the world and guided them to an all-time record at the PGA National Collegiate Minority Championship.
Tasked with building Tennessee State’s first golf team and finding only one available African American golfer – Craig, a former caddy with plenty of talent but no confidence – Catana Starks pushes outside TSU’s Historically Black context, and, against huge resistance, opens up the roster to underprivileged kids from around the world. The film stars Taraji P. Henson as Coach Starks, as well as Tom Felton, Michael Clarke Duncan and LeToya Luckett. The film was co-written by Michael A. Critelli and Pierre Bagley and directed by Bagley.
- Taraji P. Henson as Catana Starks
- Tom Felton as Edward
- Michael Clarke Duncan as Roger
- LeToya Luckett as Stacey
- Henry Simmons as Kendrick Paulsen, Jr.
- Justin Chon as Ji-Kyung
- Robert Bailey, Jr. as Craig
- Ben Youcef as Bassam
- Paul Hodge as Cameron
Executive producer Michael J. Critelli discovered the story that is the basis for the film in 2004, and spent over five years and "several hundred thousand dollars" acquiring the rights to film it and getting a screenplay, which was co-written by his son Michael A. Critelli.
On July 1, 2011, the film had a preview screening at the Essence Music Festival in New Orleans; it was also shown on Labor Day weekend at the "2011 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion" in Orlando, FL and October 5, 2011 at the International Black Film Festival in Nashville, Tennessee; It was originally scheduled for a February 3, 2012 theatrical release
- McNary, Dave (February 23, 2011). "Pair team for urban pix". Variety. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
Gyre recently wrapped principal photography on golfing drama From the Rough, starring Taraji P. Henson, Tom Felton, Michael Clarke Duncan and LeToya Luckett.
- McNary, Dave (August 5, 2010). "Taraji P. Henson swings for golf drama". Variety. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
Taraji P. Henson will star in indie sports drama From the Rough, with production set to start in New Orleans on Oct. 4.... Critelli and Kevin E. Hooks will exec produce.
- DeVille, Nancy (September 26, 2011). "Hollywood tells story of female Tenn. State men's golf coach". The Tennessean (USA Today). Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Obenson, Tambay A. (March 1, 2012). "Director Pierre Bagley Talks To S&A About "From The Rough" Release Problems + Reply From The Opposition". Shadow and Act (blog). IndieWire. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Official website
- Obenson, Tambay A. (June 12, 2011). "From The Rough Preview Screening At Essence Music Festival Next Month". Shadow and Act (blog). IndieWire. Retrieved 2012-09-04.