Frome Community College
|Established||1974 (School on site since 1921)|
|DfE URN||123862 Tables|
|Students||1,271 as of 2014|
It caters for approximately 1,271 students from the ages 13 to 18 as of 2014, as it is part of the three tier system. Students' studies at the college lead up to GCSE, GNVQ, AS-Level and A-Level qualifications. Adult learning courses are also offered, as well as a nursery for preschool children.
The college contains two distinct student bodies based on the year group a student is in. Pre-16 students are those in years 9, 10 and 11 who are mostly studying for GCSEs. In 2009 44% of pupils achieved the equivalent of five or more GCSES Grade C or above including English and Maths.
Post-16 students are part of the school's Tertiary sector and so are known as Post 16 students. They are for the most part studying AS/A-Levels. The site now has a large Post 16 futures building.
The college campus incorporates both the 240 seat Merlin Theatre and Frome Leisure Centre, both of which are open to the school's use during school hours. The Leisure Centre offers a wide range of activities including swimming, indoor bowls, squash and a gym.
The school has also recently changed the uniform from a blue polo shirt bearing the school logo, black v-neck jumper or cardigan also bearing the school logo, black trousers or knee length skirt and black shoes to the new uniform. This change completely revamps the uniform with the year 9 pupils of 2013 wearing a navy blue blazer with purple lining bearing the new school logo and the word 'Frome' below, a white long or short sleeved shirt, a navy blue purple and their house colour (red, orange, yellow, green or blue) clip on tie, mid grey trousers or purple and white tartan skirt and black shoes.
- Jenson Button (born 1980), 2009 Formula One World Drivers' Champion
- Kerry Wilkinson (born 1980), bestselling author
- "Frome Community College" (PDF). Ofsted. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "Frome Somerset Skills and Learning". Frome Community College. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- "14-16 prospectus" (PDF). Frome Community College. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- "Frome Community College". BBC. 15 January 2009. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- "post 16 prospectus" (PDF). Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- "Merlin Theatre". Merlin Theatre. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- "Frome Leisure Centre". Avalon leisure. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- Baker, Andrew (19 October 2009), "Jenson Button's home town of Frome to immortalise Formula 1 World Champion", The Daily Telegraph, London
- Flood, Ailson (8 February 2012), "Self-published ebook author becomes Amazon's top seller", The Guardian, London