|Township of Frontenac Islands|
Satellite view of Frontenac Islands, with Wolfe Island being the largest
|• Mayor||Dennis Doyle|
|• Federal riding||Kingston and the Islands|
|• Prov. riding||Kingston and the Islands|
|• Land||175.04 km2 (67.58 sq mi)|
|• Density||10.6/km2 (27/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Frontenac Islands is a township located in Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada, that encompasses five islands at the beginning of the Saint Lawrence River near the outlet of Lake Ontario: Bayfield, Garden, Hickory, Horseshoe, Howe, Wolfe and Simcoe.
The township was formed in 1998 when Howe Island Township and Wolfe Island Township were merged as part of the county's reorganization.
Only Wolfe Island has a recognizable concentrated settlement: the village of Marysville, with around 400 inhabitants. The rest of the population is dispersed. In the Nineteenth Century, the islands had much larger populations, and other villages such as Port Alexandria, Port Metcalf and Scotch Settlement (all on Wolfe Island) existed. These communities are now no more than names on the map
Note: There were no "villages" at Pot Alexandria, Port Metcalf or the Scotch Settlement. The Scotch Settlement was a farming area encompassing approximately 3,000 acres which was settled in the 1820s by Scottish clansmen moving west from Glengarry county.
Community groups and organizations
There are several community groups and organizations in Frontenac Islands. On Wolfe Island, these include the Wolfe Island Business and Tourism Association (WIBTA), the Community Medical Clinic, and the Wolfe Island Historical Society.
|Canada census – Frontenac Islands community profile|
|Population:||1864 (0.1% from 2006)||1862 (13.7% from 2001)|
|Land area:||175.04 km2 (67.58 sq mi)||174.99 km2 (67.56 sq mi)|
|Population density:||10.6/km2 (27/sq mi)||10.6/km2 (27/sq mi)|
|Median age:||50.5 (M: 50.4, F: 50.6)||49.1 (M: 48.8, F: 49.2)|
|Total private dwellings:||1256||1282|
|Median household income:||$66,965|
|References: 2011 2006 earlier|
- Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 783 (total dwellings: 1282)
- Mother tongue:
- English as first language: 93.6%
- French as first language: 0.5%
- English and French as first language: 0%
- Other as first language: 5.9%
- Population in 2011: 1864
- Population in 2006: 1862
- Population in 2001: 1638
- Population in 1996:
- Howe Island (township): 481
- Wolfe Island (township): 1180
- Population in 1991:
- Howe Island (township): 419
- Wolfe Island (township): 1097
- "Frontenac Islands, Ontario (Code 3510005) census profile". 2011 Census of Population. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "2011 Community Profiles". Canada 2011 Census. Statistics Canada. July 5, 2013. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.
- Statistics Canada 2006 Census - Frontenac Islands community profile
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006 census
Saint Lawrence River
|Leeds and the Thousand Islands
Saint Lawrence River
|Loyalist / Lake Ontario|
|Lake Ontario||Saint Lawrence River