|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nutritional value per 1 cup (30 grams)|
|Energy||462 kJ (110 kcal)|
|Sugars||12 g (41%)|
|Dietary fiber||3 g (11%)|
1 g (2%)
|Saturated||0.5 g (2%)|
1 g (2%)
|Calories from fat||42 kJ (10 kcal)|
|Cholesterol||0 mg (0%)|
Values may be different outside US market.
|Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.
Froot Loops is a brand of sweetened, fruit-flavored breakfast cereal produced by Kellogg's and sold in many countries. The cereal pieces are ring-shaped (hence "loops") and come in a variety of bright colors and a blend of fruit flavors (hence "froot", a cacography of fruit). However, there is no actual fruit in Froot Loops, they are only one flavor. This has led to different methods of production in the UK. Kellogg's introduced Froot Loops in 1963. Originally, there were red, orange, and yellow loops, but green, purple, and blue were added during the 1990s. In the UK, Froot Loops are purple, green and orange, due to the lack of natural colourings for yellow, red and blue, and are also larger in shape. Although the marketing side of Kellogg's sold the idea that each individual loops was a different flavor, Kellogg's admitted all share the same fruit blend flavor.
Toucan Sam has been the mascot of Froot Loops since its first appearance. Toucan Sam is a blue anthropomorphic toucan; the colors of his bill correspond to the three original froot loop colors. While most toucans have a good sense of smell, he is portrayed as having an uncanny ability to smell Froot Loops from great distances and invariably locates a concealed bowl of the cereal while intoning "Follow my nose! It always knows!" or "Follow my nose! For the fruity taste that shows!"
Kelloggs made several varieties of snack foods, including snack bags called Snack Ums. Snack Ums were similar to the cereal but larger. Their slogan was "Super-sized bites with deliciously intense natural fruit flavors"..."Flavor Bursting!" Froot Loops branding by Kellogg's was also used with the Froot Loops cereal bar.
In the middle of 2012, Kellogg's introduced Froot Loops to the UK market for a limited time with only the secondary colors (orange, green, and purple) included as natural color substitutes for red, yellow, and blue could not be found. The recipe was also different from the US version, which Kellogg's said was "due to European legislation we have been unable to produce Froot Loops to the same specifications as the US product. The formulations are different, including sugar and salt levels and the UK version has been produced with natural food additives and flavourings which will account for the differences in appearance and taste between the two products." The UK Froot Loops are also larger in size compared with their American counterparts, and due to the different method of formulation, are a much coarser cereal. In September 2015, Kellogg's removed Froot Loops from the UK market due to a lack of demand for the cereal.
Froot Loops Bloopers
In February 2015, a spinoff cereal called Froot Loops Bloopers was sold and was promoted by licensing a unique Angry Birds Space episode.
In popular culture
- On All In The Family, Froot Loops is a favorite cereal of Archie Bunker (Carroll O'Connor).
- On The Big Bang Theory, Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg) is called "Froot Loops" by his fellow International Space Station astronauts after they overhear his mother on the phone, warning him that he should get off the phone because his bowl of Froot Loops is getting soggy.
- Kellogg's Froot Loops cereal
- "Evolution of the Human Diet: The Known, the Unknown, and the Unknowable". Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- Image of Kellogg's UK Froot Loops. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Are the different colors of Froot Loops different flavors?". The Straight Dope.
- Locker, Melissa (21 January 2014). "Breaking Breakfast News: Fruit Loops Are All the Same Flavor, after the Mandela effect now know as Froot Loops". TIME.com.
- "The Toucan". prezi.com.
- "Snack Ums Froot Loops". taquitos.net.
- "Froot Loops Cereal & Milk Bars". taquitos.net.