Thomas Township, Michigan
|Thomas Township, Michigan|
Location within Saginaw County, Michigan
|• Total||31.9 sq mi (82.7 km2)|
|• Land||31.5 sq mi (81.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||600 ft (183 m)|
|• Density||376.9/sq mi (145.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627160|
- Dice is an unincorporated community in the township at Dice and Thomas Roads.
- Frost is an unincorporated community in the township on Frost Road, between Graham and Lone Roads. A post office operated from April 13, 1880, until December 15, 1887, and again from January 24, 1888, until September 30, 1907.
- Shields is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 31.9 square miles (83 km2), of which 31.5 square miles (82 km2) is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) (1.32%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,877 people, 4,545 households, and 3,481 families residing in the township. The population density was 376.9 per square mile (145.5/km²). There were 4,700 housing units at an average density of 149.1 per square mile (57.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.10% White, 0.62% African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.68% Asian, 0.61% from other races, and 0.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.64% of the population.
There were 4,545 households out of which 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.1% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 20.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the township the population was spread out with 24.3% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44, 29.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 92.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $52,536, and the median income for a family was $59,271. Males had a median income of $48,523 versus $29,660 for females. The per capita income for the township was $25,700. About 1.7% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.3% of those under age 18 and 5.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Thomas Township, Michigan
- "Thomas Township Statistics". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- Saginaw County Map. J. Shively. State of Michigan Department of Information Technology Technology Center for Geographic Information. September 2007.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Dice, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Frost, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Frost Post Office (historical)