Frost & Sullivan
|Industry||Market research, Consulting|
|Founder||Dan L. Sullivan & Lore A. Frost|
|Headquarters||Mountain View, California, United States|
|David Frigstad (Chairman)
Krishna Srinivasan (President)
|Services||Growth strategy consulting and research|
Number of employees
Frost & Sullivan is a consulting firm which provides market research and analysis, growth strategy consulting, and corporate training services across multiple industries. It is headquartered in Mountain View, California, and has offices in over 40 countries.
Frost & Sullivan was founded by Dan L. Sullivan and Lore A. Frost in New York City in 1961. The company initially focused on research related to new technologies, distribution channels and business trends. In 1972, it started a corporate training division. Also in the 1970s, the company started sponsoring conferences and industry meets, and also expanded outside the US in the 1970s by opening an office in London.
In 1982, Frost & Sullivan was publicly traded, and had annual revenues of $9.1 million. By 1987, the revenues had grown to around $17.5 million, with $290,000 in net earnings. Theodore Cross acquired 53% of the company's stock in the mid-1980s. In January 1988, the company was merged with a subsidiary of FAS Acquisition Co., a company formed by Theodore Cross and Warburg Pincus Capital, making it a private firm once again. In 1993, the company was acquired by David Frigstad.
The company expanded into Asia in the 1990s and opened offices in China, Japan, India and Singapore. In 1997, it entered into a joint venture with M.A.I.D. (later acquired by Dialog) for electronic distribution of its material.
In 2001, it acquired Technical Insights. The same year, Frost & Sullivan lost its New York sales office in the September 11 attacks. The following recession forced the company to lay off 10% of its 700-strong staff, before it made a recovery. In 2002, it further expanded its alliance with Dialog.
Frost & Sullivan's services fall into the following three broad categories:
- Market research, including industry analysis, technology analysis and customer research; stylized as "360° research"
- Consulting, aimed at helping businesses achieve growth; stylized as "growth consulting". Includes "Growth Implementation Services" which includes business process re-engineering, performance management, change management, sales and distribution optimisation, and customer experience management.
- Events, including seminars, learning workshops, conferences and award banquets
- "Global economy will turn around very soon: David Frigstad, chairman, Frost & Sullivan". The Times of India. 2011-10-17. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Frost & Sullivan, Inc.". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Our Offices". Frost & Sullivan. Frost & Sullivan. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- Thomas Derdak, Tina Grant, ed. (2003). International Directory of Company Histories, Volume 53. St. James Press. pp. 142–146. ISBN 978-1-55862-483-2.
- "Company Briefs". The New York Times. 1987-11-23. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Frost & Sullivan lost office in NYC attack". San Antonio Business Journal. 2001-09-17. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Dialog Expands Alliance with Frost & Sullivan". Information Today. 2002-05-01. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "F&S services". Frost & Sullivan. Retrieved 2015-06-10.