Frost Township, Michigan
|Frost Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.5 sq mi (92.0 km2)|
|• Land||34.9 sq mi (90.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,142 ft (348 m)|
|• Density||30/sq mi (11.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||48625 (Harrison)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626323|
- Long Lake Heights is an unincorporated community in the township on the northern part of Long Lake at . A rural post office named Longlake operated from June 20, 1899, until May 15, 1912.
- The city of Harrison is to the south, and the Harrison ZIP code 48625 also serves all of Frost Township.
Frost Township is located in northern Clare County and is bordered by Roscommon County to the north. U.S. Route 127 crosses the township from north to south, with access from Exit 176 at the township's southern border.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.5 square miles (92.0 km2), of which 34.9 square miles (90.5 km2) is land and 0.58 square miles (1.5 km2), or 1.58%, is water. Long Lake, the largest water body in the township, is in the southeast.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,159 people, 495 households, and 325 families residing in the township. The population density was 33.1 per square mile (12.8/km²). There were 1,190 housing units at an average density of 34.0 per square mile (13.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.38% White, 0.69% African American, 0.95% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 0.09% from other races, and 1.64% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.47% of the population.
There were 495 households out of which 21.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.9% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.3% were non-families. 26.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.75.
In the township the population was spread out with 21.6% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 22.9% from 25 to 44, 31.2% from 45 to 64, and 19.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 103.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $27,243, and the median income for a family was $32,768. Males had a median income of $27,250 versus $22,386 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,387. About 13.1% of families and 16.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.5% of those under age 18 and 10.3% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Frost Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Frost township, Clare County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Long Lake Heights, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- 48625 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census