Frozen – Live at the Hyperion
|Frozen – Live at the Hyperion|
|Disney California Adventure|
|Opening date||May 27, 2016|
|Replaced||Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular|
|Disney Cruise Line|
|Name||Frozen: A Musical Spectacular|
|Opening date||November 10, 2016|
|Replaced||Toy Story: The Musical|
|Designer||Walt Disney Creative Entertainment|
|Music||Jason Michael Webb (arranger)|
|Live at the Hyperion|
|Music||Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez|
|Lyrics||Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez|
|Basis||Disney's Frozen, by Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee|
|Productions||2016-present, Hyperion Theater, Disney California Adventure|
Frozen – Live at the Hyperion is a musical stage show inspired by Disney's 2013 animated film Frozen. It is presented at the Hyperion Theater in Hollywood Land at Disney California Adventure. The show premiered on May 27, 2016.
Frozen – Live at the Hyperion was first announced in September 9, 2015 as a replacement for the venue's previous musical, Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular, which played from 2003 to 2016.
The production is directed by Tony-nominated Liesl Tommy, written by Tony-nominated Chad Beguelin, and features sets by Tony-nominated scenic designer Robert Brill. Jason Michael Webb serves as the musical supervisor and arranger. Puppets for the show were designed by Michael Curry. About 3,500 people auditioned for the initial production, from which the production team selected a cast of over 100 people to put on up to five performances daily.
As part of the transformation of the Hyperion Theater to accommodate Frozen – Live at the Hyperion, the stage was rebuilt. The new additions include a 2,200-square-foot LED video wall, and large curtains on either side of the stage that serve as a projection surface. The production also includes a large number of mobile sets in addition to the video elements.
Some solo songs like "In Summer" were changed by Webb to ensemble numbers. Some scenes such as Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post and Sauna and characters such as Marshmallow, the ice monster were removed. For the "Let It Go" sequence, Elsa stands on top of crystal stairs that rotate out over the crowd.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frozen – Live at the Hyperion.|
- "New Stage Musical Based on 'Frozen' Opens at Disney California Adventure". NBC Los Angeles. NBCUniversal Media, LLC. City News Service. May 27, 2016. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- Paulson, Michael; Barnes, Brooke (6 June 2016). "Let It Go Go Go! Three Stage Versions of 'Frozen' Are on the Way". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Setting the Stage for 'Frozen – Live at the Hyperion' at Disney California Adventure Park". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- Slater, Shawn (2015-09-09). "All New 'Frozen'-Inspired Stage Musical Coming to Disney California Adventure Park in 2016". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- Moe, Jackie; Eades, Mark (May 26, 2016). "Photos: 'Frozen' musical premieres at California Adventure replacing 13-year run of 'Aladdin'". Orange County Register. Retrieved October 7, 2016.