fsn (file manager)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (November 2020)
Even though it was never developed to a fully functional file manager, it gained some fame after appearing in the movie Jurassic Park in 1993. In a scene in the film, the character Lex Murphy, played by Ariana Richards, finds a computer displaying the interface. She exclaims, "It's a UNIX system! I know this!" and proceeds to restart the building's access control system, locking the control room's doors. After the release of the film, some perceived the visualization as an example of media misrepresentation of computers, citing the computer game-like display as being an unrealistic Hollywood mockup while unaware of the program's legitimate existence.
- File System Visualizer, a free clone of fsn for various Unix-like operating systems
- GopherVR, a 3D visualisation tool for the Gopher hypertext protocol
- "My Workstation OS: Irix". Linux.com. May 20, 2005. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016.
- "8 Embarrassing Hollywood Tech Cliches". Archived from the original on 2009-08-01.
- Kranz, Tom (December 2, 2008). "FSN – the IRIX 3D file system tool from Jurassic Park". Archived from the original on February 8, 2014. Retrieved May 27, 2015.