Ftn (TV channel)
|Timeshift service||Ftn+1 (Thursday 9 August - Monday 1 October 2007)|
|Owner||Virgin Media Television|
|Launched||15 January 2003|
|Closed||1 October 2007|
|Replaced by||Virgin 1|
(at time of closure)
FTN (Flextech Television Network) was a television channel owned by Virgin Media Television (formerly known as Flextech). The channel's main purpose was to exist as a highlights network for Flextech to showcase Freeview viewers the programmes from their paid channels, although it also aired its own programming.
It originally launched on 15 January 2003, airing from 6:00pm-6:00am as it timeshared with UKTV Bright Ideas. It also transitioned on Virgin Media, and as a subscription channel on Sky.
The channel was announced on 3 October 2002 as part of a preparation of networks on the Freeview service. The channel's initial launch programming was announced on 1 January 2003, with a launch prepared for the 15th.
FTN +1 launched on Sky and Virgin Media on 9 August 2007. Despite being a one-hour timeshift, FTN +1 only broadcast from 7:00pm until 1:00am, as Live Roulette TV which broadcast on FTN from 12:00am-3:00am, couldn't be rebroadcast one hour later, for legal reasons.
It was announced in the summer of 2007 that Virgin Media Television was to launch a new channel, Virgin 1. The new channel launches on Monday 1 October 2007. The channel was Virgin Media's attempt to rival Sky One.
As a result of this new channel, it was revealed the Ftn would close, leaving its EPG positions on Sky, Virgin Media and Freeview to Virgin 1.
Ftn closed at 6am on Monday 1 October 2007, with Virgin 1 launching at 9:00pm on the same day.
FTN's schedule featured entertainment and reality programming, and also programming from other Virgin Media Television cable channels, such as Living, Living2, Bravo, Bravo 2, Trouble TV, and Challenge TV. This provided a preview to Freeview viewers of what the Virgin Media channels offered, in a similar fashion to BSkyB's Sky Three, a channel which was also on Freeview.
Previously The Great Big British Quiz broadcast nightly between the hours of 00:00 and 03:00am. (Big Game TV took this spot until April 2007) Between November 2005 and November 2006 Quiz Night Live broadcast from 22.00 - 01.00 daily only to be replaced by Ostrich Media's Quiz Call which ceased broadcasting on FTN on 1 January 2007.
In June 2007, Live Roulette TV began broadcasting on FTN between the hours of midnight and 03:00am.
- ^ https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/terrestrial/a9279/font-colorcc0000updatedfont-freeview-to-launch-at-end-of-month/
- ^ https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a9943/font-colorcc0000exclusivefont-ftn-programming-lineup-revealed/
- ^ "Virgin Media Television announces Virgin 1". Virgin Media Press Office. 12 June 2007. Retrieved 24 August 2006.[permanent dead link]
- ^ "Virgin 1 launch date announced". Digital Spy. 18 September 2007. Retrieved 18 September 2006.
- ^ "Launch of Virgin 1 on Freeview". Freeview.co.uk. Retrieved 24 August 2006.
- ^ "Ftn/Virgin 1 schedule (1 October 2007)". Radio Times. Retrieved 24 August 2006.