Fu Yuanhui in 2015 Kazan
|Nickname(s)||Honghuang Girl (洪荒少女)|
January 7, 1996 |
Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||67 kg (148 lb)|
|Club||Zhejiang Swimming Team|
Fu Yuanhui (Chinese: 傅园慧; pinyin: Fù Yuánhuì; born January 7, 1996) is a Chinese competitive female swimmer who specializes in backstroke. She won a bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics in the 100-meter backstroke and owns the textile world record in the 50-meter backstroke.
2012 Summer Olympics
2013 World Championships
At the 2013 World Aquatics Championship in Barcelona, Fu placed second in the 50 metre backstroke, losing to her teammate Zhao Jing with a time of 27.39s.
2014 Asian Games
At the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, Fu won two gold medals in the 50 m and 100 m backstroke.
2015 World Championships
She won the 50 metre backstroke at the World Aquatics Championship in 2015 and helped China win the 4x100 metre medley. In the interview, Fu complained her swimsuit was too tight.
2016 Summer Olympics
Fu won a bronze medal in the 100-meter backstroke by tying for third place with Canadian swimmer Kylie Masse. She finished in a national record time of 58.76. Throughout the Olympics, her cheerful interviews and goofy demeanor made her very popular. Mark Dreyer, a Beijing-based sports writer, noted that Fu exemplified "a positive trend in Chinese sports whereby athletics was undergoing a transition away from "manufactured Olympic champions" from the state-run sports system who were effective at bringing home medals but had cardboard personalities and inspired little devotion among fans'. Her series of facial expressions spread widely in the Internet, and her sayings such as "I've already spent my supernatural energy!"（Chinese: 我已使出了洪荒之力！）become very popular catchwords.
A few days later, after her lackluster performance in the 4×100-meter medley relay where the team placed fourth, she told an interviewer that she was on her period; many commended her decision to speak about this, menstruation being considered a taboo topic in sports.
2016 Asian Swimming Championships
At the 2016 Asian Swimming Championships in Tokyo, Fu won gold medals for the first time. She won two gold medals in the 50 m and 100 m backstroke and a silver medal in the 4 × 100 m medley relay. Fu was very happy to show her medals on her Weibo.
Since 2016, Fu has been one of the most popular athletes in China. She takes part in some TV talk shows and charity activities. Fu also makes friends with many other swimmers such as Sun Yang and Ye Shiwen.  She was a guest of the 2017 CCTV New Year's Gala.
Personal bests (long course)
- As of July 20, 2017
|50 m backstroke||27.11||2015 World Aquatics Championships||August 6, 2015|
|100 m backstroke||58.72||2017 Chinese National Championships||April 12, 2017||NR|
|200 m backstroke||2.08.84||2015 BHP Super Series||January 30, 2015|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fu Yuanhui.|
Notes and references
- 奥运“网红”傅园慧：“洪荒之力”的段子手 Retrieved 2016-10-05
- "Yuanhui Fu". Rio 2016 Organization. Archived from the original on August 25, 2016. Retrieved August 22, 2016.
- "Yuanhui Fu". 2012 Summer Olympics. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- “妈妈，这个小雨伞哭了”——傅园慧从小就是段子手 Retrieved 2016-10-05
- 傅园慧谈为啥学游泳：小时候锻炼身体游着游着就游到现在 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 或许就出自这里！ Retrieved 2017-01-06
- 傅园慧:泳衣太紧胸都被勒平 出国主打肢体语言 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 劳伦斯冠军奖揭晓 傅园慧获最受欢迎女运动员 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- "Fu Yuanhui: China falls in love with Olympic swimmer and her 'mystic energy'". The Guardian. August 9, 2016. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- Editor, Maxwell Strachan Senior; Post, The Huffington (9 August 2016). "Meet Fu Yuanhui, The Most Lovable Athlete At The Rio Olympics".
- 洪荒之力”成十大流行语之首 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 傅园慧红到国外了 英媒笑翻:她真太有趣了 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- "China's Fu Yuanhui breaks taboo by admitting she was on her period".
- "Rio 2016: Support as China's Fu Yuanhui breaks period taboo - BBC News".
- Fu Yuanhui takes Asian Swimming Championship gold, GBTIMES BEIJING, 18. November 2016
- China's Fu Yuanhui wins women's 50m backstroke at Asian Swimming Championships, CCTV, 18. November 2016
- AASF Championships: Fu sets record in Women's 100m backstroke
- AASF Championships: Xu Jiayu grabs fourth gold medal in Tokyo, CCTV, 21. November 2016
- 傅园慧首摘亚锦赛金牌 太激动:我少女心爆发了! Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 傅园慧聊被孙杨抱 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 傅园慧自曝看厌宁泽涛摸腻孙杨：腹肌胸肌都差不多 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 镜头外的傅园慧:和叶诗文是闺蜜 比采访中更有趣 Retrieved 2017-01-06
- “洪荒少女”傅园慧来广州啦！她说游泳池里都是她的眼泪 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 傅园慧领衔浙江游泳队走进特殊群体参与公益 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 傅园慧公益为儿童绘制图画 Archived 2016-12-20 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 父亲称傅园慧曾推千万代言 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- 傅园慧纯粹的性格带给我们快乐的背后 Retrieved 2016-12-17
- “洪荒少女”傅园慧的红与黑：我不是段子手 Retrieved 2016-10-05
- 孩子王!傅园慧跨年很high Retrieved 2017-01-01
- 去年爆红 傅园慧：我就是自己的偶像 Retrieved 2017-01-06
- 傅园慧一句话拉5万赞助，一碗拉面卖50 Retrieved 2017-01-06
- 点评傅园慧生日长文 Retrieved 2017-01-09
- 体育界"文豪"：张继科"新月派" 傅园慧散文少女 Retrieved 2017-01-09
- "CCTV Spring Festival Gala 2017: Former EXO members Lu Han and Wu Yifan to set the stage on fire?". IB Times. Retrieved 24 January 2017.