||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)
Fuefuki (笛吹市 Fuefuki-shi) is a city in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan.
As of July 2012, the city has an estimated population of 70,297 and a population density of 348 persons per km². The total area is 201.92 km².
Fuefuki is located in central Yamanashi Prefecture. Just over 50% of the area of the city is covered in forest.
The following municipalities surrounding the city clockwise starting from Kōfu.
During the Edo period, all of Kai Province was tenryō territory under direct control of the Tokugawa shogunate, with a daikansho based at the village of Isawa. During the cadastral reform of the early Meiji period in April 1, 1889, the rural districts of Higashiyatsushiro and Higashiyamanashi Districts were formed.
The modern city of Fuefuki was established on October 12, 2004, from the merger of the towns of Ichinomiya, Isawa, Misaka and Yatsushiro, the village of Sakaigawa (all from Higashiyatsushiro District), and the town of Kasugai (from Higashiyamanashi District). The name refers to the Fuefuki River that flows through the city. The city hall is located at the former Isawa Town Hall, and other former towns and village halls were converted to satellite offices.
On August 1, 2006, Fuefuki later absorbed the village of Ashigawa (also from Higashiyatsushiro District. Higashiyatsushiro District was dissolved as a result of this merger.
- - Tateyama, Chiba – since May 1973 with former Isawa Town
- - Fujikawaguchiko, Yamanashi – since July 1962 with former Misaka Town
- - Ichinomiya, Chiba – since April 1982 with former Ichinomiya Town
- - Yui, Shizuoka since April 1989 with former Yatsushiro Town
- - Tainai, Niigata since October 1996 with former Sakaigawa Village
- - Sado, Niigata since October 1989 with former Kasugai Town
- - Bad Mergentheim, Baden-Württemberg, Germany – since 1991 with former Isawa Town
- - Nuits-Saint-Georges, Côte-d'Or, France – since 1992 with former Ichinomiya Town
- – Feicheng, Shandong, China – since 1994 with former Ichinomiya Town
Notable people from Fuefuki