Fuel (video game)
|Release||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360|
July 5, 2009
Fuel is a 2009 open world racing video game developed by Asobo Studio and published by Codemasters. The game was released on June 2, 2009 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and June 5, 2009 for Microsoft Windows. It is set in a post apocalyptic America after the sun scorched the earth. With a completely free to roam open world approximately 5,560 square miles (14,400 km2) in size, which is roughly the size of the U.S. state of Connecticut. In the free roaming mode, the game features the ability to drive anywhere in the game world without incurring loading times, however crashing a vehicle - or invoking the reset function to return to the road - does invoke a loading screen.
Fuel is an open world racing game set in a Mad Max-like post-apocalyptic world ravaged by extreme weather fueled by global warming, with players experiencing varying weather effects such as occasional tornadoes and sandstorms, as well as an accelerated day-night cycle.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2009)
Fuel evolved from a game Asobo Studio announced in 2005, called Grand Raid Offroad.
The award for largest playable area in a console game was awarded to Fuel developer Asobo Studios. Guinness World Records presented the developer with a certificate to commemorate the achievement.
Fuel has been met with mixed reviews. Many of the rewards available to be unlocked were seen as not worth the effort and the racing mechanics have been noted as sloppy, with the AI opponents leading for most of the race only to slow down towards the end to allow the player to win.
- "Fuel Hands-on". IGN. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- Patrick Garratt. "FUEL delayed to June 5".
- Bramwell, Tom. "Codemasters unveils FUEL". EuroGamer. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- Robinson, Martin (August 22, 2008). "GC 2008: Fuel Preview". IGN. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- Fahey, Mike (22 May 2009). "Fuel Is The Biggest Console Game Ever". Kotaku. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Jason D'Aprile (9 June 2009). "Fuel Review - Xbox 360". XPlay. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Tom Bramwell (27 May 2009). "FUEL review: Spent". Eurogamer. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Chris Roper (8 July 2009). "Fuel review: Codemasters races to an open world mess". IGN. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Kevin VanOrd (10 June 2009). "Fuel Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Fuel review". GameTrailers. 16 June 2009. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- IGN: Fuel Playstation 3 Review
- Fuel at Codemasters.com