Fuel cell bus
||It has been suggested that Fuel cell bus trial be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since June 2013.|
Several companies are conducting hydrogen fuel cell research and practical fuel cell bus trials. These include:
- Daimler AG, with thirty-six experimental units powered by Ballard Power Systems fuel cells completing a successful three-year trial, in eleven cities, in January 2007.
- Thor Industries (the largest maker of buses in the U.S.), based on UTC Power fuel cell technology
- Irisbus, based on UTC Power fuel cell technology
Hydrogen-powered fuel-cell buses began operating in Beijing on an experimental basis in 2006. Three fuel cell buses, made by Daimler in Germany and purchased with a grant from the U.N. Development Programme, were the first fuel cell buses to enter operation in China. The technology has not gained broader use in the city because air pollution reduced the efficiency and operating life of fuel cells.
The first Brazilian hydrogen fuel cell bus prototype began operation in São Paulo during the first semester of 2009. The hydrogen bus was manufactured in Caxias do Sul, and the hydrogen fuel will be produced in São Bernardo do Campo from water through electrolysis. The programme, called "Ônibus Brasileiro a Hidrogênio" (Brazilian Hydrogen Autobus), includes three additional buses.
The Fuel Cell Bus Club is a global cooperative effort in trial fuel cell buses. Ford began leasing E-350 shuttle buses in late 2006.
A fuel cell bus in Perth, Western Australia
Toyota's FCHV-BUS at the Expo 2005
Mercedes-Benz (Daimler AG) Citaro fuel-cell bus in Aldwych, London (route RV1), on 19 October 2005
- "European Fuel Cell Bus Project Extended by One Year". DaimlerChrysler. Retrieved 31 March 2007.
- "Fuel cell buses". Transport for London. Archived from the original on 13 May 2007. Retrieved 1 April 2007.
- "UTC Power - Fuel Cell Fleet Vehicles".
- "First clean fuel buses running on Beijing roads" Gov.cn 2006-06-21
- (Chinese) 姜天海, "杨裕生院士：氢燃料电池拯救不了蓝天" 中国科学报 2013-03-20
- "Ônibus brasileiro movido a hidrogênio começa a rodar em São Paulo" (in Portuguese). Inovação Tecnológica. 2009-04-08. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- "Ônibus a Hidrogênio vira realidade no Brasil" (in Portuguese). Inovação Tecnológica. April 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-03.[dead link]
- H2mobility.org Hydrogen buses worldwide
- Toyota FCHV-BUS data sheet
- International Fuel Cell Bus Collaborative