|Municipality and village|
Location of Fuglafjarðar kommuna in the Faroe Islands
|State||Kingdom of Denmark|
|Constituent country||Faroe Islands|
|Population (January 1, 2017)|
|• Summer (DST)||WEST (UTC+1)|
|Postal code||FO 530|
The village is at the edge of a bay and expands into the surrounding steep hills. The town centre is located close to the harbour and contains most of the shops and services. The harbour in Fuglafjørður is busy, as the town's economy is based on the processing of fish and fish meal. There is fishing-industry, a slip, production of trawl and also oil-depots. In the 1970s there was a terrible stink from the fishing-industry but that has since been solved.
In the past years Fuglafjørður has also become famous for its newly established cultural centre in the town centre that has become one of the main cultural attractions in Eysturoy.
History and development
Where the Gjógvará stream meets the sea in the village, archaeologists have discovered the remains of a Viking longhouse, seventeen metres 56 feet in length, with walls 1.5 metres (4 feet 11.1 inches) thick. It was found by removing four or five more recent layers of ruins, showing a continuity of habitation for many centuries.
In the 1840s the small village Hellur in north of Fuglafjørður was established. However this village never grew large and now only approximately 30 of the municipality's inhabitants live there.
In the 1980s the suburb of Kambsdalur was established, and now about 180 of the population in the municipality live here. In Kambsdalur there is also a large industrial cluster, the educational centre of the northeastern Faroes and the regional sportscentre used mainly for handball, volleyball and indoor football.
The local football team is ÍF Fuglafjørður.
Notable people that were born or lived in Fuglafjørður include:
- Eilif Samuelsen (born 1934), teacher and politician
- Trygvi Samuelsen (1907–1985), lawyer
- Bartal Eliasen (born 1976), footballer
- Abraham Løkin (born 1959), footballer
- Høgni Zachariasen (born 1982), footballer
- Henning Hansen (born 1980), footballer
Twin towns – sister cities
Fuglafjørður is twinned with:
- Statistical Database of the Faroe
- Brandt, Don (2011). More Stamps and Story of the Faroe Islands (PDF). 1. Tórshavn: Postverk Føroya. p. 45. ISBN 99918-3-191-6. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2011-09-27. Retrieved 2008-09-04.
- "Aalborg Twin Towns". Europeprize.net. Archived from the original on 7 September 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Faroeislands.dk: Fuglafjordur Images and description of all cities on the Faroe Islands.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fuglafjørður.|