|Country||United Arab Emirates|
|• Emir||(Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi)|
|• Total||46 km2 (18 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,100/km2 (5,500/sq mi)|
Fujairah City (Arabic: الفجيرة) is the capital of the emirate of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates. It is the seventh-largest city in UAE, located on the Gulf of Oman (part of the Indian Ocean). It is the only Emirati capital city on the UAE's east coast. The city of Fujairah is an industrial and commercial hub located on the east coast of the Indian Ocean that sits at the foothills of the Hajar Mountains.
In 2016, the city had a population of 97,226, a significant number (43%) compared to 225,360 in the entire emirate.
Fujairah City is the main business and commercial centre for the emirate, with tall office buildings (e.g., Fujairah Tower) lining Hamad Bin Abdulla Road, the main route into the city. The road runs through the city and connects Fujairah City to Dubai through the Emirate of Sharjah. The city's location provides direct access to the Indian Ocean for the United Arab Emirates, avoiding use of the Persian Gulf, which requires access via the Strait of Hormuz. The northern part of the waterfront has many cylindrical tanks for oil storage.
The Fujairah Free Zone is located to the north of the city. Creative City is a media free zone on the Sheikh Khalifa Highway to the west. It was established in 2007 as a media hub that offers benefits to media companies and entrepreneurial projects in the media, music, entertainment, events, communication, and marketing sectors.
The Port of Fujairah is located on the city's eastern coast, just outside the Strait of Hormuz, and was built in 1978. It began its operations in 1983 and today has a quay that stretches over 6.7 km.
It is located on a major global shipping route and is one of the world's largest bunkering hubs alongside Singapore and Rotterdam. The port is an oil hub and has launched plans to expand its oil storage capacity by 75% by 2022.
The Fujairah Oil Industry Zone (FOIZ) is located north of the Port of Fujairah and has a storage capacity of 10 million cubic meters for refined oil products. It was established to develop and regulate the hydrocarbon industry in the emirate of Fujairah and to support growth and investment in the sector. Eighteen companies operate in the FOIZ, and the Aramco Trading Company opened its second overseas office in the Fujairah Oil Industry Zone in 2019, the first one being in Singapore.
There are a number of shopping malls, including the large City Centre Fujairah mall, opened in 2012. Other malls include the Fujairah Mall (opened in 2016), LuLu Mall (opened in 2014), and Century Mall. Markets include the Central Market, Fabric Souk, and a Fish & Vegetable Market.
The restored Fujairah Fort and the nearby Fujairah Museum are located in Fujairah City. Fujairah Heritage Village, near Madhab Spring Park, preserves some of the emirate's past. The main mosque is the large white Sheikh Zayed Mosque, the second largest in the UAE and a landmark that is visible from many locations in the centre of the city. It can hold around 28,000 worshippers.
The Fujairah Museum opened its doors in 1991 and is home to archeological exhibits discovered in various parts of the emirate. Some of the exhibits date back to the sixth millennium BC while others are from Islamic rule of the city's more modern history. They include pottery, jewelry, and spearheads. The most famous item at the museum is an Ostrich egg that dates back to 2,500 BC.
The bullfighting held in Fujairah City is a significant public event. It does not include matadors like the Spanish form of bullfighting and does not kill the animals. It consists of two bulls locking horns, which can result in injuries. Families and betting to attend the events is not allowed.
Most major hotels are on or close to Hamad Bin Abdulla Road and Al Corniche Road.
The Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Expressway (aka Sheikh Khalifa Highway), a dual carriageway road, links Fujairah City with Dubai and other parts of the UAE, passing through the mountains just inland from the city. This leads into Hamad Bin Abdulla Road, which continues through the city to the coast.
The main airport in the emirate, Fujairah International Airport, is located to the south of Fujairah City. It currently mostly handles cargo traffic. Pakistan International Airlines became one the first passenger flights to fly into Fujairah Airport on the 25th of November 2022. PIA now operates two weekly flights originating from Peshawar and Islamabad in Pakistan.
- "United Arab Emirates: Emirates & Major Cities – Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, Weather and Web Information". citypopulation.de. 1 July 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "Fujairah | Emirate, Location, & Ports". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 2021-09-01.
- "Fujairah - The Official Portal of the UAE Government". u.ae. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Fujairah City travel". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- United Arab Emirates Internet, E-Commerce Investment and Business Guide - Strategic and Practical Information, Regulations, Opportunities. 10 May 2016. ISBN 9781433052071.
- "Welcome to Fujairah City". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Hamad Bin Abdulla Road Area Guide | Bayut". Bayut Area Guides. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Fujairah Map". www.fujairahtourism.ae. UAE: Fujairah Tourism & Antiquities Authority. 2018. Archived from the original on 2021-03-03.
- "Fujairah Creative City Free Zone Company Formation". Emirabiz. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Fujairah Creative City Free Zone Business Setup". www.uae-consultants.com. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Fujairah Free Zone & Fujairah Creative City Free Zone Company Setup". The Sovereign Group. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Fujairah Free Zone". Emirabiz. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Fujairah Free Zone (FFZA)". uaefreezones.com. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Fujairah Free Zones". UAEstablishment. 2016-11-15. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Fujairah Free Zone: About Fujairah Free Zone, Products & More - MyBayut". A blog about homes, trends, tips & life in the UAE | MyBayut. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Our Story | Port Of Fujairah UAE". Port of Fujairah. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "Port of Fujairah putting itself on the map". Port Technology International. Retrieved 2021-08-21.
- "10 Major Ports in Dubai and the United Arab Emirates". Marine Insight. 2021-01-20. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- al-Barei, By Sultan. "UAE's Fujairah port grows in strategic importance". Al-Mashareq. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- Ship; bunker.com. "6 Countries are Responsible for Almost 60% of All Bunker Sales". Ship & Bunker. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "Page 143 - WOO 2014". www.opec.org. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- https://www.tfgmarine.com/media/1060/tfg_marine_corporate_brochure.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- Lin (m_lin), Max Tingyao (2019-10-09). "TradeWinds survey: main bunkering hubs well prepared for IMO 2020 | TradeWinds". TradeWinds | Latest shipping and maritime news. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- Carpenter, Claudia (2021-08-15). "FUJAIRAH DATA: July bunker sales jump 2.8% on month to 2021 high". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "Expecting oil trade boom, Fujairah Oil Terminal invests in VLCC project". Reuters. 2021-08-27. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "Interview: Fujairah port expects crude storage to more than double by 2022". www.spglobal.com. 2019-04-16. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "Feature: Backed by influential Emiratis, obscure BGPIC has global oil storage, refining ambitions | Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide". www.hellenicshippingnews.com. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "Saudi's Aramco Trading opens Fujairah Oil Industry Zone office - Business - Construction Week Online". Archived from the original on 2019-06-07.
- Saadi, Dania; Carpenter, Claudia (2021-07-07). "Fujairah crude storage set to reach 10 mil cu m, more projects being discussed: FOIZ". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "About Us". Fujairah Oil Industry Zone. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "UAE's Fujairah attracting more oil industry business". www.zawya.com. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "Fujairah attracts more oil industry business". wam. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "Port of Fujairah and FOIZ continue to attract investments". www.gulftoday.ae. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "Aramco Trading Company opens Fujairah office in UAE". www.aramco.com. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- Gamal, Julia Payne, Rania El (2019-02-20). "Aramco Trading to open London office in overseas expansion - sources". Reuters. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- "25 Best Schools in Fujairah - Top Ratings (2021 Fees)". edarabia.com. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "University of science and Technology of Fujairah". www.ustf.ac.ae. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "List of Schools in Fujairah | Universities and Colleges in Fujairah". Dubai OFW. 2020-05-02. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- Fort, Fujairah. "Fujairah Fort". Welcome to the World. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "Fujairah". Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "Fujairah Heritage Village Guide: Timings, Location & more - MyBayut". A blog about homes, trends, tips & life in the UAE | MyBayut. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "Fujairah Heritage Village | Fujairah Attractions". www.privatedubaitours.com. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- Author, DubaiCity (2021-01-21). "Fujairah Heritage Village". Retrieved 2021-09-12.
|last=has generic name (help)
- "Visiting Fujairah Heritage Village – A Complete Guide - (2021 Update)". Exploring UAE. 2021-03-04. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- MacManais, E. J. (Summer 2018). "Sheikh Zayed Mosque – Our very special landmark". www.fujairahobserver.ae. UAE: Fujairah Observer. pp. 60–63.
- "In Pictures: Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Fujairah". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "A guide to Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Fujairah: Location, Timings & More - MyBayut". A blog about homes, trends, tips & life in the UAE | MyBayut. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "UAE museum: Fujairah Museum". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "Fujairah Museum Guide: Ticket Prices, Location, Timings & more - MyBayut". A blog about homes, trends, tips & life in the UAE | MyBayut. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "In Fujairah, bulls fight for honour, not money or blood". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "In pictures: Traditional bullfight in Fujairah - ArabianBusiness.com". Archived from the original on 2017-09-29.
- "Bullfighting tradition in Fujairah divides opinion but delights its fans". The National. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "Bull Butting / Bull Fighting, Fujairah - Best time to visit". Trawell.in. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "The new Hamad Bin Abdulla Road". www.fujairahobserver.ae. UAE: Fujairah Observer. 2018. Archived from the original on 31 July 2020. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- Wam. "Fujairah Terminals unveils Dh1b expansion programme". Khaleej Times. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "New UAE carrier Eastern Express delays launch but eyes destinations in Gulf, Africa and India". CAPA - Centre for Aviation. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "Fujairah Airport | Private Jet Charter". 2016-09-29. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "PIA becomes first int'l airline to fly directly to Fujairah". The Express Tribune. 2021-11-26. Retrieved 2022-04-14.
- Media related to Fujairah at Wikimedia Commons