Fulbright–Hays Act of 1961
|Long title||An Act to provide for the improvement and strengthening of the international relations of the United States by promoting better mutual understanding among the peoples of the world through educational and cultural exchanges.|
|Nicknames||Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961|
|Enacted by||the 87th United States Congress|
|Effective||September 21, 1961|
|Statutes at Large||75 Stat. 527|
|Titles amended||22 U.S.C.: Foreign Relations and Intercourse|
|U.S.C. sections amended||22 U.S.C. ch. 33 § 2451 et seq.|
The Fulbright–Hays Act of 1961 is officially known as the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961 (Pub.L. 87–256, 75 Stat. 527). It was marshalled by United States Senator J. William Fulbright (D-AR) and passed by the 87th United States Congress on September 16, 1961, the same month the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 and Peace Corps Act of 1961 were enacted.
As the preamble of the Fulbright–Hays Act of 1961 states:
The purpose of this chapter is to enable the Government of the United States to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange; to strengthen the ties which unite us with other nations by demonstrating the educational and cultural interests, developments, and achievements of the people of the United States and other nations, and the contributions being made toward a peaceful and more fruitful life for people throughout the world; to promote international cooperation for educational and cultural advancement; and thus to assist in the development of friendly, sympathetic, and peaceful relations between the United States and the other countries of the world.
U.S. Congressional Amendments to 1961 Act
Chronological legislation relative to U.S. Congressional revisions as pertaining to the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act.
|Date of Enactment||Public Law Number||U.S. Statute Citation||U.S. Legislative Bill||U.S. Presidential Administration|
|November 5, 1966||P.L. 89-766||80 Stat. 1314||S. 1760||Lyndon B. Johnson|
|August 15, 1979||P.L. 96-60||93 Stat. 395||H.R. 3363||Jimmy Carter|
|October 28, 1991||P.L. 102-138||105 Stat. 647||H.R. 1415||George H.W. Bush|
- Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
- FRIENDSHIP Act of 1993
- Fulbright Program
- United States Information and Educational Exchange Act of 1948
- Peters, Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "John F. Kennedy: "Remarks Upon Signing the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act.," September 21, 1961". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961
- Fulbright Program
- Peters, Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "John F. Kennedy: "Executive Order 11034—Administration of the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961," June 25, 1962". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Fulbright Program: 40 And Still 'Pretentious'". The New York Times. June 26, 1986.