Full-screen writing program
This article possibly contains original research. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In computing, a full-screen writing program or distraction-free editor is a text editor that occupies the full display with the purpose of isolating the writer from the operating system (OS) and other applications. In this way one should be able to focus on the writing alone, with no distractions from the OS and a cluttered interface. Often distraction-free editors feature a dark background and a text field, with lighter colored text. However, most distraction-free editors include customisable user interfaces. Some editors support rich text editing.
List of full screen editors
Free and open-source
|Name||License||Linux||Other supported operating systems||p. lang.||Toolkit||Spell checker||Syntax highlighting||WYSIWYG||Notable aspects, references|
|Acme||LPL||Yes||Plan 9, Mac OS, Windows||Mouse chording; supports sending selected text through pipelines of programs; extensible & scriptable via any language.|
|CodeRoom||GPLv3||Yes||Mac OS, Windows||C++||Qt||No||QSyntaxHighlighter||supports syntax highlighting.|
|GNU Emacs||GPLv3||Yes||Unix, Mac OS, Windows||C, Emacs Lisp||curses, GTK+||Yes||Yes||Yes||supports syntax highlighting, programmable, several distraction-free packages available.|
|FocusWriter||GPLv3||Yes||Mac OS, Windows||C++||Qt||Enchant||Highly customizable, has basic .odt format support|
|gedit||GPLv2||Yes||Cross-platform||C||GTK+||Enchant||GtkSourceView||Unicode||full-screen with F11; part of GNOME Core Applications|
|KoalaWriter||GPLv3||Yes||Mac OS, Windows||C++||Qt||No||No||No||Clone of OmmWriter|
|LightWrite||Yes||Web based||Python||Django||Features save online, export to file and 2 color modes.|
|Marave||GPLv2||Yes||No||Python||Qt||Enchant||GNU source-highlight||Similar to OmmWriter, CreaWriter;|
|QuiEdit||GPLv3||Yes||Windows||Python||Hunspell||Yes||Markdown||basic text formatting.|
|RubyRoom||GPLv2||Yes||No||Ruby||GTK+||No||No||No||Latest version from 2009|
|TextRoom||GPLv3||Yes||Mac OS, Windows||C++||Qt (+GLib)||Hunspell||Supports rich text|
|Vim||Vim License||Yes||Cross-platform||C||Yes||Yes||Distraction-free plugins available.|
|Name||Operating system support||Notable aspects, references|
|Poe||Windows 8||Word count goals, writing timers, auto-correct and resource links. Windows 8 only.|
|FORCEdraft||Windows||Text editor that won't exit until the user's goal is reached.|
|DarkRoom||Windows||Clone of WriteRoom for Windows .NET|
|JDarkRoom||Linux, Mac OS, Windows||Clone of DarkRoom written in Java|
|Q10||Windows||Portable, has word count features|
|Writemonkey||Windows||Markdown Extra, Textile and WikiCreole support 
Donors can access plugins, including a corkboard and timer
|Calmly Writer Online||Mac OS, Windows, Linux and Chrome OS||Distraction-free and responsive design |
|Write!||Windows||Markdown, spell-checker, distraction-free and responsive design |
|Name||Operating system support||Notable aspects, references|
|Bloom Editor||Windows||Uses 3D rendering for special effects and dynamic visual themes. Has a free limited version|
|CreaWriter||Windows||Clone of OmmWriter for Windows; has limited free version|
|iA Writer||Mac OS||Has iCloud and Dropbox integration, iPad and iPhone version, Focus Mode, and Markdown support|
|OmmWriter||Mac OS, Windows||Supports images as backgrounds, and a player for ambient music|
|Sublime Text||Linux, Mac OS, Windows||customisable, for programmers, has free trial version|
|Write Onward!||Windows||Fullscreen writing software disallowing editing, copying or pasting text to let writers focus solely on the writing process.|
|NaNoScriBe||Windows 8||Rich text, on-screen word count, goals and timers. Built-in nanowrimo stats page |
|ZenWriter||Windows||Simple, with background images and ambient music|
|Calmly Writer for Desktop||Mac OS, Windows, Linux and Chrome OS||Distraction-free and responsive design |
|Moopato eBook Writer||Mac OS and Windows||Distraction-free wriitng and publishing of eBooks |
Rich text support
Some distraction-free editors support rich text editing. These include CreaWriter, TextRoom, and WriteRoom. In some cases, this feature turned off per default and must be set by a user.
Currently, only a few distraction-free editors support syntax highlighting. CodeRoom is an open source project with the purpose of creating a distraction-free code editor with customisable highlighting schemes. The latest version of Marave supports syntax highlighting. Sublime Text supports a distraction-free full-screen view. Packages exist for GNU Emacs that turn off various features and reformat the display to a distraction-free layout while retaining syntax highlighting and other features familiar to Emacs users..
Aids to writing
Word count is a common feature in these editors. Other aids can include spell checkers, auto-corrections and quick text templates.
Many of the programs include timers to pace writing. FocusWriter and WriteMonkey, among others, include typewriter sound effects.
- Full Screen Writing Program (English translation)
- "Comparison of distraction-free editors on bweaver.net".
- "Blog post on innovations in text editing".
- "Poll on lifehacker.com on best distraction-free editor".
- "Tips and Tricks for Distraction-Free Writing".
- "ghacks.net on distraction-free on the distraction-free editor ZenEdit".
- "List of distraction-free editors".
- "Tech Malaya blog post on some of the popular distraction-free editors".
- "CodeRoom on Google code".
- "Emacs as a distraction free environment".
- "GNU Emacs".
- "FocusWriter official website".
- "KoalaWriter on Google code".
- "LightWrite - Gun.io".[permanent dead link]
- "LightWrite, A Free Online WriteRoom Clone".
- "Marave on Google code".
- "PyRoom official website".
- "QuiEdit official website".
- "RubyRoom official website".
- "TextRoom on Google code".
- "junegunn/goyo.vim". GitHub. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "Developer's website".
- "FORCEdraft official website".
- "DarkRoom official website".
- "JDarkRoom official website".
- "Writemonkey features page".
- "Calmly Writer website".
- "Write! official website".
- "Bloom Editor official website".
- "CreaWriter official website".
- "OmmWriter official website FAQ".
- "Announcement of distraction-free full-screen support on Sublime Text official blog".
- "Sublime Text features". Archived from the original on 16 February 2011.
- "Sublime Text download section".
- "Write Onward! official website".
- "WriteRoom official website".
- Eisenman, Bonnie (8 July 2010). "Writeroom Review". 148Apps. TrouserMac Industries. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- Elliott, Amy-Mae (19 January 2011). "How to: Beat Writer's Block Online". Mashable. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "developer's website".
- "ZenWriter website".
- "Moopato eBook Writer website".
- "Comparison of distraction-free editors for OS-X".
- Q10 is a Full Screen Writing Program
- Comparison of Fullscreen text editors Archived 26 November 2014 at the Wayback Machine.