Type of site
|Slogan(s)||Powerful. Practical. Proven. Online fundraising made easy.|
|Launched||1 September 2009|
FundRazr is a Canadian crowdfunding site and Facebook app first released in 2009. It allows users to set up crowdfunding pages and/or embed fundraising apps on their Facebook pages to raise money for a variety of causes such as medical care, memorials, and animal rescue causes.
FundRazr was founded in 2008 by Daryl Hatton. The head office is located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The platform was initially a Facebook app that allowed users to crowdfund money over Facebook. It has since developed into a full online fundraising tool set.
FundRazr was the first crowdfunding platform to provide a collaborative community payment model, wherein funds are deposited directly to a company or cause—an example of which is their partnership with Heritage Education Funds to allow families to crowdfund directly to a Registered Educations Savings Plan (RESP).
In November 2015, FundRazr partnered with Place2Give to enable users to crowdfund directly for any registered charity in North America capable of issuing tax receipts directly from FundRazr using the GIVE_api.
FundRazr uses the donation/perks crowdfunding model, where users keep everything they raise minus the 5% transaction fee. A fee is not charged if no fund is raised. FundRazr allows users to create a campaign page for their cause. The page can then be shared through social media, email or embedded onto a third-party website to solicit donations from supporters. Supporters contribute to a cause through comments, shares, likes, and donations, which are all visible on Facebook. FundRazr is in partnership with PayPal which allow users to deposit and withdraw funding.
On 20 August 2013, FundRazr introduced "Crowdfunding as a Service" technology, which allows web publishers and companies to run crowdfunding service on their site. FundRazr subsequently announced its first official PoweredBy partner, HealthLine on 17 December 2013.
As of 2013, illness, medical and health-related causes represent 58% of money raised. Memorials/tributes represents another 12%. On 28 February 2013, Fundrazr announced that it had raised $20 million for its users. In May 2013, FundRazr announced that it had raised $25 million from 37,000 campaigns. As of March 2014, FundRazr has raised $44 million.
- 2015 Vancouver UX Awards Nominee - UX for Good 
- 2013 UK Trade and Investment Global Competition Winner
- 2013 BCTIA Technology Impact Award - Most Promising Start-up
- 2013 Vancouver Social Media Award - Best Social Media Campaign (non-profit)
- 2013 #30 on Profit`s Hot 50 Rankings
- 2014 CFWR Top UK Donation and Reward Crowdfunding Site
|Rank||Total raised||Project start||Project description|
|1||$2,371,889||August 2016||The Sacred Stone Legal Defense Fund raised over $2 million in 90 days to fund the legal defense for the #NODAPL protesters of the Dakota Access Oil Pipeline.|
|2||$1,278,999||October 2015||Researchers at the American Gut Project, the world’s largest crowdsourced, crowdfunded science project, has raised more than $1 million from over 6,500 “citizen scientists” who have agreed to have their microbiomes sequenced.|
|3||$1,007,356||March 2012||Professional Gamer Athene's project Operation Sharecraft raises over $1 Million (including a matching grant of $500,000 from DC Entertainment) for East African Relief by Save the Children.|
|4||$414,869||July 2011||Wikileaks Staff Legal Defence Team raises £233,650 as of 7 November 2013 for Wikileaks staff costs and Julian Assange's legal defence.|
|5||$256,740||October 2016||Water Protector Legal Collective partnered with the National Lawyers Guild to raise money for the #NoDAPL protests in North Dakota.|
|6||$181,346||November 2016||Over $181,000 raised in a peer-to-peer campaign by Aprons for Gloves Boxing Association to support Vancouver's Downtown East Side.|
|7||$110,536||November 2015||Over $110,000 raised for Peterborough Mosque that was attacked and burnt.|
|8||$107,742||November 2013||Over $100,000 raised for Australian King Hit victim.|
|9||$103,034||December 2013||Over $100,000 raised for father with incurable brain cancer|
|10||$103,014||August 2013||Wikileaks Staff Legal Defence Team raises $63,969 as of 7 November 2013 for Edward Snowden's legal defence|
|11||$97,969||July 2013||Almost $90,000 raised for single mother who lost 3 limbs in a dog bite accident|
|12||$93,402||April 2012||Over $90,000 raised for Tiger Woods' foundation to send 10 deserving students to college|
|13||$59,778||October 2016||The Heiltsuk First Nation of Bella Bella raised nearly $60,000 to cover the costs of a diesel spill in their waters.|
|14||$30,544||October 2013||Over $30,000 raised for "good hearted boy",who used the money to pay off overdue lunch accounts in local elementary schools.|
- Ivor Tossell, “FundRazr pushes crowdfunding to next level with social platform”, The Globe and Mail, 7 October 2013.
- Knowlton Thomas, “Exclusive Interview: Vancouver's FundRazr raises the bar with monumental PayPal and Facebook collaboration” Techvibes, 8 August 2010.
- "Crowdfunding for RESPs: Toronto company launches ‘simple solution’ to raise money for child’s education" Financial Post, 2 December 2015.
- "FundRazr, Dexterity Ventures to Launch Partnership on National Philanthropy Day" TechVibes. 10 November 2015.
- Stephen Hui, “Vancouver startups put a new spin on crowdfunding”, Straight.com, 27 November 2012
- Nelson Bennett, “Social media harnessed to raise investment dollars”, Business Vancouver, 24 July 2012
- Kate Taylor, “6 Top Crowdfunding Websites: Which One Is Right For Your Project?”, Forbes, 6 August 2013.
- “Exclusive Interview: Vancouver's FundRazr raises the bar with monumental PayPal and Facebook collaboration” Knowlton Thomas, Techvibes, 8 August 2010.
- Rob Lewis, “FundRazr Introduces Crowdfunding as a Service” Rob Lewis, Techvibes, 20 August 2013.
- Joseph Czikk , “VANCOUVER’S FUNDRAZR TO HELP AMERICANS CROWDFUND HEALTHCARE COSTS” Joseph Czikk, Betakit, 17 December 2013.
- Sumari MacLeod, "Vancouver's Fundrazr Hits $20 Million in Donations", Techvibes,28 February 2013
- Cheryl Alkon, "'Crowdfunding' sites pay medical bills, raise hopes", USA Today, 18 January 2013
- Lauren Dugan, “PayPal Makes Online Fundraising a Social Experience with FundRazr”, SocialTimes, 19 August 2010
- Hansen, Evan; Tate, Ryan (1 November 2012). "Can Facebook Army Supercharge Nonprofit Fundraising? First Test: Sandy". Wired (magazine). Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Dianne Buckner, "Crowdfunding websites trying to cash in on crowded field", CBC,18 June 2013
- Charles Luzar, "FundRazr: $25 Million Raised For 37,000 Crowdfunding Campaigns Since 2010", Crowdfund Insider,21 May 2013
- Bret Conkin, "The Funding Continuum Enters Stage Left", Crowdfund Insider,27 March 2014
- "UX for Good", Vancouver UX Awards ,1 December 2015
- "Canadian innovation heads to the UK", GOV.UK,12 July 2013
- Cassandra Leger, "FundRazr Crowdfunding Platform Named Most Promising Startup At The Technology Impact Awards", Right Startups ,10 July 2013
- Sumari MacLeod, "http://www.techvibes.com/blog/the-good-and-the-bad-of-the-2013-vancouver-social-media-awards-2013-04-01", Techvibes ,1 April 2013
- "FundRazr (ConnectionPoint Systems Inc.)", ProfitGuide ,2013
- "Four Stars and Top International Honors", Crowdfunding Website Reviews Dec 2014
- "7 Ways to Support Standing Rock's Protest Against the Dakota Access Pipeline". Harper's BAZAAR. 2016-11-23. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Sacred Stone Legal Defense Fund". FundRazr. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- “American Gut Project Crowdfunds $1 Million to Study the Human Microbiome”, UC San Diego News Center, 29 October 2015.
- Kate Cox, “Gaming Provocateur Aiming to Raise $1 Million for Humanitarian Aid”, Kotaku, 27 March 2012
- John Hudson, “Why WikiLeaks Is Raising Money Using MasterCard and PayPal Again”, The Atlantic Wire, 2 March 2011.
- "Water Protector Legal Collective, formerly Red Owl". FundRazr. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- “Faith manages: Peterborough rebuilds as mosque fire deemed a hate crime”, Globe and Mail, 17 November 2015.
- Emma-Jayne Schenk, “Ongoing battle for king hit victim Matt Scarff”, Bendigo Advertiser , 4 January 2014.
- Amy Remeikis, “Homecoming for Rome Torti”, Brisbane Times , 3 January 2014.
- “WikiLeaks launches site for Edward Snowden's legal defense” Adrianne Jeffries, The Verge, 28 October 2013.
- “Ottawa mother loses 3 limbs after dog bite infection” CBC News, CBC News, 21 July 2013.
- “How an Ottawa mother lost three limbs to rare dog bite infection, but not her spirit” Sarah Boesveld, National Post, 22 July 2013.
- Tiger Woods Foundation, “Help send 10 deserving students to college”, Tiger Woods Foundation, 19 April 2012.
- "Support Heiltsuk Efforts in Diesel Spill". FundRazr. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- News, Elizabeth McSheffrey in; 2016, Energy | October 18th (2016-10-18). "First Nation considering lawsuit after diesel spill destroys clam beds". National Observer. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- “'Good-hearted boy': 8-year-old pays off overdue lunch accounts”, Today (U.S. TV program), 4 March 2014.