Funeral Parade of Roses
|Funeral Parade of Roses|
Japanese film poster
|Directed by||Toshio Matsumoto|
|Written by||Toshio Matsumoto|
|Music by||Joji Yuasa|
|Edited by||Toshie Iwasa|
|Distributed by||Art Theatre Guild|
Funeral Parade of Roses (薔薇の葬列, Bara no Sōretsu) is a 1969 Japanese drama film directed and written by Toshio Matsumoto, loosely adapted from Oedipus Rex and set in the underground gay culture of 1960s Tokyo. It stars Peter as the protagonist, a young transvestite, and features Osamu Ogasawara, Yoshio Tsuchiya and Emiko Azuma. A product of the Japanese New Wave, the film combines elements of arthouse, documentary and experimental cinema.
The film was released by A.T.G. (Art Theatre Guild) on September 13, 1969 in Japan; however, it did not receive a United States release until October 29, 1970. Matsumoto's previous film For My Crushed Right Eye contains some of the same footage and could almost be interpreted as a trailer for Funeral Parade, although a true trailer was also made. In June 2017, it received a 4K restoration and a limited theatrical rerelease.
The film follows the trials and tribulations of Eddie and other transgender women in Tokyo.
- Peter as Eddie
- Osamu Ogasawara as Leda
- Yoshio Tsuchiya as Gonda
- Emiko Azuma as Eddie's mother
- Toyosaburo Uchiyama as Guevera
- Don Madrid as Tony
- Koichi Nakamura as Juju
- Chieko Kobayashi as Okei
- Shōtarō Akiyama as himself
- Kiyoshi Awazu as himself
The film was set and shot in Tokyo.
- "Exclusive - Fantagraphics to publish 'Massive' anthology of gay manga". 31 December 2013. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- (in Japanese) 薔薇の葬列 (Bara no Sōretsu) at the Japanese Movie Database
- "Eros Effect" review by Lucid Screening
- Sharp, Jasper (26 September 2006). "Funeral Parade of Roses (Review)". Midnight Eye. Retrieved 18 October 2007.
- Thompson, Nathaniel (2006). DVD Delirium: The International Guide to Weird and Wonderful Films on DVD; Volume 3. Godalming, England: FAB Press. pp. 250–251. ISBN 1-903254-40-X.
- "Timeline for a Timeless Story" essay by Jim O'Rourke
- Funeral Parade of Roses on IMDb
- Funeral Parade of Roses is available for free download at the Internet Archive
|This article related to a Japanese film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a drama film with a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender theme is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|