The following are some systems currently being used for the identification of yeasts:
- Carbohydrate fermentation studies: This tests whether a certain yeast ferments different carbohydrates.
- Carbohydrate assimilation studies: This tests whether a yeast can aerobically utilize different carbon and nitrogen compounds with oxygen as their final electron acceptor.
- API 20C System: Freeze-dried sugars are placed into wells on a plastic strip, yeast basal medium suspended yeast is pipetted into wells, and incubated. Turbidity determines growth.
- Uni-Yeast Tek System: Identifies yeasts based on their ability to ferment certain sugars
- Vitek yeast Biochemical Card