Funiculaire de Saint-Hilaire du Touvet
|Funiculaire de Saint-Hilaire du Touvet|
|Line length||1,480 m (4,860 ft)|
|Track gauge||1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)|
|Maximum incline||830 ‰ (83%)|
The Funiculaire de Saint-Hilaire du Touvet, or Saint-Hilaire du Touvet Funicular, is a funicular railway in the département of Isère in the Rhône-Alpes region of France. It links Montfort on the road between Grenoble and Chambéry, with the village of Saint-Hilaire du Touvet, located on the Plateau des Petites Roches 600 metres (1,969 ft) above. 
Until the funicular was built, the village of St. Hilaire du Touvet was accessible only on foot, or by mule. The construction of the funicular was started in 1920 and it was opened in 1924, principally to serve several sanatoria built to house tuberculosis patients. A road has long since been opened, and the funicular is now used mostly by tourists and paragliders.
Until 1955, the funicular was served by two 40 passenger cars. These were replaced in that year by a more modern design of car, carrying 60 passengers each. In 1992, these were in turn replaced by new cars to a retro design, not dissimilar to the original cars.
- "Funiculaire Saint Hilaire du Touvet - History". Funimag. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- "Funiculaire Saint Hilaire du Touvet - Bottom Station". Funimag. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- "Funiculaire Saint Hilaire du Touvet - Technical Datas". Funimag. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- "Funiculaire Saint Hilaire du Touvet - The Cabins". Funimag. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- Media related to Funiculaire de Saint-Hilaire du Touvet at Wikimedia Commons
- Funiculaire de St. Hilaire du Touvet web site (in French)
- Funimag article on the Funiculaire de St. Hilaire du Touvet (in English) (in French)