Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome|
|Studio album by Parliament|
|Released||November 28, 1977|
|Studio||United Sound Systems, Detroit, Michigan, and Hollywood Sound, Hollywood, California|
|Rolling Stone||favorable (1978)|
It is a loose concept album warning the listener of falling into the "Placebo Syndrome," which according to George Clinton is consumerism, and listening to disco music, which he saw as a simplification of funk music in attempt to gain commercial success. The album spawned the R&B number #1 single in "Flash Light", which features a funky synthesizer bass line played in a Minimoog by keyboardist Bernie Worrell. The album became Parliament's fourth consecutive gold album and second platinum album. The song "Sir Nose d'Voidoffunk (Pay Attention – B3M)" contains nursery rhymes "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep" and "Three Blind Mice", the lyrics were changed to make reference to drug use.
The original vinyl release contained a 22" by 33" inch poster of the character "Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk", as well as an 8-page comic book that explains the concept behind the LP. Both the poster and the comic book were illustrated by Overton Loyd.
|1.||"Bop Gun (Endangered Species)" (released as a single-Casablanca NB 900)||George Clinton, Garry Shider, Bootsy Collins||8:31|
|2.||"Sir Nose d'Voidoffunk (Pay Attention – B3M)"||George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell||10:04|
|3.||"Wizard of Finance"||George Clinton, Ronald Ford, Glenn Goins||4:23|
|4.||"Funkentelechy" (released as a single-Casablanca NB 921)||George Clinton, Bootsy Collins||10:56|
|5.||"Placebo Syndrome"||George Clinton, Billy Nelson||4:20|
|6.||"Flash Light" (released as a single-Casablanca NB 909 and as a promo only 12" single Casablanca NB 20113 DJ)||George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell||5:46|
- Vocals – George Clinton, Ray Davis, Glenn Goins, Garry Shider, Debbie Wright, Jeanette Washington, Lynn Mabry, Dawn Silva, Cordell Mosson, Mallia Franklin- not included on liner notes.
- Keyboards and synthesizers – Bernie Worrell
- Guitars – Michael Hampton, Glenn Goins, Garry Shider; Phelps Collins on "Flash Light"
- Bass guitar – Cordell Mosson
- Drums and percussion – Jerome Brailey; Bootsy Collins on "Flash Light"
- Horns – Fred Wesley, Maceo Parker, Rick Gardner, Richard Griffith, Clay Lawrey, Darryl Dixon, Valerie Drayton, Danny Cortez
- Extra-extra terrestrial funk bearing alumni-Strokers, Chokers, Clappers and Chanters – Bootsy Collins, Phelps Collins, Frank Waddy, Rick Gilmore, Gary Cooper, Robert Johnson, Billy Nelson, Ron Ford, Lou Goldman, Joel Johnson, Bootsy's Rubber Band, The Brides of Funkenstein, Parlet, and The Horny Horns.
Horn arrangement by Bernie Worrell and Fred Wesley
- Produced by George Clinton
- Engineered by Jim Vitti
- Mixing assistance by Bernie Worrell
- Mastered by Allen Zentz
- Photography by Ron Slenzak
- Album graphics by Stephen Lumel/Gribbitt!
- Booklet story and illustrated by Overton Loyd
- Booklet coloring and collaboration by Shelby Mack
- Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome at AllMusic