||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||James Braddell|
15 April 1962 |
|Genres||Downtempo, trip hop, electronica|
Crippled Dick Hot Wax!
Funki Porcini is the stage name of musician and film maker James Braddell. His music is a combination of downtempo, breakbeat and nu jazz with highlights of samples and time-stretched vocals. The name "Funki Porcini" is a twist on "Funghi Porcini", the Italian name of the mushroom Boletus edulis, commonly known as "penny bun".
He spent ten years in Italy making music for film and television. Thereafter, he returned to England. In 1994 he signed to independent record label Ninja Tune and set up his own studio, The Uterus Goldmine.
For his fourth album, Fast Asleep, Braddell worked with Team Alcohol (aka Rupert Small) to produce visual interpretations of eight tracks, which are included on the album's accompanying DVD.
He has also recorded as a member of 9 Lazy 9 (aka 8 Lazy Bastards), under the pseudonym Giacomo Braddellini; and released the EP "Float On" (1995), as a member of short-lived band Purr, along with DJ N4Eric (aka Toona) and Stuart Warren-Hill of Hexstatic. Recently[when?] he has been making films and animation and has worked on the scores to two films by Tony Grisoni; Syncing and The Pizza Miracle.
- Hed Phone Sex (May 1995, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN17/ZENCD17, 2xLP/CD)
- Love, Pussycats and Carwrecks (June 1996, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN23/ZENCD23, 2xLP/CD)
- The Ultimately Empty Million Pounds (1999-03-29, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN40/ZENCD40, 2xLP/CD)
- Fast Asleep (29 July 2002, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN57/ZENCD57, 2xLP/CD+DVD)
- Plod (1 Dec 2009, Independent, CD)
- On (3 May 2010, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZENCD144, CD)
- One Day (11 Dec 2011, Independent)
- Le Banquet Cassio (12 Jun 2013, Independent)
- Long Road (Feb 1995, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN1224, 12")
- Dubble (1995, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN1231, 12")
- King Ashabanapal mixes / King Ashabanapal's Big Pink Inflatable (1995, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN1237/ZENCDS37/39, 12"/CDS)
- Hyde Park / Suck Acid, Perl & Dean (1995, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN1239, 12")
- Carwreck (1996, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN1247/ZENCDS47, 12"/CDS)
- Let's See What Carmen Can Do (1996-04-07, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN1250/ZENCDS50, 12"/CDS)
- Love, Pussycats & Carwrecks EP (1996-08-30, Shadow Records, Cat. no: SDW-12011-1, 12")
- Funki Porcini Vs Jerry Van Rooyen (1997, Sideburn Recordings, Cat. no: SB 001, 12")
- Rockit Soul (1999-02, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN1276/ZENCDS76, 12"/CDS)
- Zombie (19 Oct 1999, Crippled Dick Hot Wax!, Cat. no: CDHW 063, 12"/CDS)
- The Great Drive By (24 October 2001, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN12102, 12")
- 16 Megatrons (Theme tune for Top Of The Rock website www.topoftherock.com)
Compilations (Non Albums Tracks)
As James Bradell
- "Untitled" on Rising From The Red Sand (Volume Three) (Sep 1983, Third Mind Records, Cat. no: TMT 13, Cassette)
As Funki Porchini
- "Trip To Nowhere" on Freezone 4: Dangerous Lullabies (15 Jule 1997, SSR Records/Small, Cat. no: SSR 187 LP;SSR 187 CD/SMA 487972-2, 4x12"/2xCD)
- "Z Cars" (with Cujo) on Joint Ventures (11 Nov 1997, NINEBARecords/Shadow Records, Cat. no: NOZACD06/SDW032-2, CD)
- "Z Cars (Superintatude Mix)" (with Cujo) on Joint Ventures (1997, NINEBARecords, Cat. no: NOZALP06, 2x12")
- "Crashism" on Endlessnessism (1998, Dot, Cat. no: DOTLP04/DOTCD04, 4x12"/2xCD)
- Clusterfunk – "Refungalised (Funki Porchini mix)" from Inside (Blapps! and Funki Porcini remixes) (June 1995, Ninja Tune, Cat. no: ZEN 1227R, 12")
- Journeyman – "Mama 6 (Funki Porcini Remix)" from Earthrise.Ntone.1 (1995, Instinct Records, Cat. no: EX-322-1/EX-316-2, 4x12"/2xCD, Compilation)
- Unitone HiFi – "Guiding Star (Funki Porcini Remix)" from Rewound + Rerubbed (1996, Incoming!, Cat. no: INC!LP 3402/INC!CD 3308, 2x12"/CD)
- The Mike Flowers Pops – "Freebass (Cocaine Donut)" from The Freebase Connection: The Mike Flowers Pops meets Aphex Twin (29 July 1996, Lo Recordings, Cat. no: LOEP 02/LOEP 02 CD, 12"/CDS)
- Pierre Henry & Michel Colombier – "Jericho Jerk (Funki Porcini Mix)" from Metamorphose – Messe Pour Le Temps Présent (1997, FFRR Records (US)/Philips Records (France), Cat. no: 456 294-2/456 650–1;456 294–2;456 640–2, CD, Compilation)
- Barbara Gogan with Hector Zazou – "Cradle Your Soul (Funki Porcini Mix)" from Made on Earth (Remixes) (1997, SSR Records, Cat. no: SSR 179, 12")
- Margoo – "Villain (Funki Porcini Remix)" from Ariane 5 EP (1997, Lo Recordings, Cat. no: LOEP 04, 12")
- Sounds From The Ground – "Over There (Purr Remix)" from Sound Information 3 (1998, Echo Beach, Cat. no: EB020, CD, Compilation)
- Le Tone – "Joli Dragon (Funki Porcini Remix)" from Joli Dragon (1999, Creation Records, Cat. no: , 12")
- Toxic Lounge – "When Sorrows Came (Funki Porcini's Toxic Hammond)" from When Sorrows Came (29 August 2000, Klein Records, Cat. no: KL 015, 12")
- "Megamix" (56:03) from Soundclash Present Undo (disc 2: Breaking Off With Funki Porcini) – (1999, Soundclash, Cat. no: SOUND CDLP 01, 2xCD, Compilation + Mixed CD)
- "Gentlemen, science is agreed, that if something isn't done and done quickly, man as the dominant species of Earth will be extinct within a year."
The track 123,3,4 from The Ultimately Empty Million Pounds uses samples from Ornette Coleman's album The Shape of Jazz to Come.
"Let's See What Carmen Can Do" features a sample of Bob Barker from the TV show, "The Price Is Right", commenting while spinning the Big Wheel – which beeps as the numbers pass by.
The track "Long Road" features a sample of the movie Where Danger Lives, wherein the protagonist, played by Robert Mitchum, is saying to the girl with whom he is on the run "it's a long road, there's no turning back".