Funky 4 + 1
This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (September 2015)
Funky 4 + 1
|Also known as|
|Origin||Bronx, New York City|
Sugar Hill Records
|Associated acts||Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five|
Funky 4 + 1 was an American hip hop group from The Bronx, New York. They were the first hip hop group to receive a recording deal, and the first to perform live on national television. The group was also notable for being the first to have a female MC.
"That's the Joint" was interpolated from A Taste of Honey's "Rescue Me". Music critic Robert Christgau of The Village Voice named it the best song of the 1980s. In his 1981 review of the single, Christgau gave it an A rating and wrote of its musical significance, "The instrumental track, carried by Sugarhill bassist Doug Wimbish, is so compelling that for a while I listened to it alone on its B-side version. And the rapping is the peak of the form, not verbally—the debut has funnier words—but rhythmically. Quick tradeoffs and clamorous breaks vary the steady-flow rhyming of the individual MCs, and when it comes to Sha-Rock, Miss Plus One herself, who needs variation?"
In 2008, its song "That's The Joint" was ranked number 41 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of Hip Hop.
- "Rappin & Rocking The House" (1979)
- "That's The Joint" (1980)
- "Do You Want to Rock (Before I Let Go)" (1982)
- "Feel It" (The Mexican)" (1983)
- The Voice of K.K. aka K.K. Rockwell (Kevin Smith)
- Keith Keith (Keith Caesar)
- Sha Rock (Sharon Green)
- Rahiem (Guy Todd Williams)
- Lil' Rodney C! (Rodney Stone)
- Jazzy Jeff (Jeff Miree)
- D.J. Breakout (Keith Williams)
- D.J. Baron (Baron Chappell)
- Christgau, Robert (January 2, 1990). "Decade Personal Best: '80s". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- Christgau, Robert (March 30, 1981). "Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- Piskor, Ed (2013). Hip Hop Family Tree. Seattle, WA: Fantagraphics. ISBN 1606996908.
- "VH1′s 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs". Stereogum. 2008-09-29. Retrieved 2014-08-01.