|Studio album by The B-52s|
|Released||March 26, 2008|
|Producer||Steve Osborne, The B-52s|
|The B-52s chronology|
Funplex is the seventh studio album (eighth overall) by The B-52s, recorded during 2006 and 2007. The album was released on March 25, 2008 by Astralwerks Records It was the first album of new material that the group had released since Good Stuff in 1992, although the band did record two new songs for their 1998 compilation album Time Capsule: Songs for a Future Generation.
The album came as a result of the band's renewed touring, and a feeling that they needed something new to perform. Guitarist Keith Strickland was inspired to create an updated sound for the band when listening to the New Order album Get Ready and hired producer Steve Osborne. Osborne's production incorporates more modern elements of electronica.
The first single from the album was released digitally on January 29, 2008, and is the title track, "Funplex". A music video was filmed in West Hollywood on March 1, 2008 and featured a cameo appearance by RuPaul who appeared in the video for "Love Shack".
The second single from the album was "Juliet of the Spirits".
The CD, packed in the Digipak format, was released in three front cover color variants in the lettering for the album title and the band's shadows: the original (shown above) in gray, multi-colored, and hot pink. In the colored versions, the coloring also extends to the band's instruments. The band members themselves, along with the band's logotype, retain their original rendering throughout all versions.
Exclusive, limited-edition autographed copies were offered by Newbury Comics and FYE, as well during the Funplex 2008 tour, and a special limited-edition double-disc set of Funplex is available only at Target stores in the U.S. The bonus disc features five live tracks recorded at the band's November 16, 2007 concert at the Roxy in Los Angeles. Two additional live tracks from that same concert were available exclusively on iTunes.
- "Pump" – 4:53
- "Hot Corner" – 3:24
- "Ultraviolet" – 4:25
- "Juliet of the Spirits" – 4:22
- "Funplex" – 4:07
- "Eyes Wide Open" – 5:35
- "Love in the Year 3000" – 4:14
- "Deviant Ingredient" – 4:50
- "Too Much to Think About" – 3:47
- "Dancing Now" – 4:02
- "Keep This Party Going" – 4:31
- iTunes-exclusive deluxe version bonus tracks
- Target-exclusive bonus CD: Live at the Roxy in L.A.
- "Party Out of Bounds" – 3:45
- "Channel Z" – 5:26
- "Roam" – 5:13
- "Strobe Light" – 4:38
- "Rock Lobster" – 5:33
- Fred Schneider – lead vocals
- Kate Pierson – background vocals
- Cindy Wilson – background vocals
- Keith Strickland – guitar, programming, keyboards
- Tracy Wormworth – bass
- Sterling Campbell – drums
- Paul Gordon – keyboards
- Producers: Steve Osborne
|Australian Albums Chart||93|
|French Albums Chart||104|
|Swiss Albums Chart||71|
|UK Albums Chart||73|
|U.S. Billboard 200||11|
|2008||"Funplex"||Billboard Hot Dance Club Play (U.S.)||14|
|2008||"Juliet of the Spirits"||Billboard Hot Dance Club Play (U.S.)||8|
- Funplex at AllMusic
- https://web.archive.org/20080324222230/http://www.billboard.com:80/bbcom/content_display/reviews/albums/e3ie4bd24ee9875ae56df36e113c4f8c319. Archived from the original on March 24, 2008. Retrieved March 30, 2008. Missing or empty
- Release Date
- Katie Hasty, "Day26 Upends Danity Kane To Debut At No. 1", Billboard.com, April 2, 2008.
- [dead link]
- The B-52s - Funplex
- Album liner notes
-  Archived December 26, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.