Furna

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Furna (disambiguation).
Furna
Furna Prättigau.jpg
Coat of arms of Furna
Coat of arms
Furna is located in Switzerland
Furna
Furna
Furna is located in Canton of Graubünden
Furna
Furna
Coordinates: 46°56′N 9°40′E / 46.933°N 9.667°E / 46.933; 9.667Coordinates: 46°56′N 9°40′E / 46.933°N 9.667°E / 46.933; 9.667
Country Switzerland
Canton Graubünden
District Prättigau/Davos
Area[1]
 • Total 33.32 km2 (12.86 sq mi)
Elevation 1,400 m (4,600 ft)
Population (Dec 2015[2])
 • Total 209
 • Density 6.3/km2 (16/sq mi)
Postal code 7232
SFOS number 3862
Surrounded by Grüsch, Jenaz, Peist, St. Peter-Pagig, Schiers, Trimmis, Valzeina
Website www.furna.ch
SFSO statistics

Furna is a municipality in the Prättigau/Davos Region in the Swiss canton of Graubünden.

History[edit]

Furna is first mentioned in 1479 as Furnen.[3]

Demographics[edit]

Furna has a population (as of 31 December 2015) of 209.[2] As of 2008, 0.5% of the population was made up of foreign nationals.[4] Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 0.5%. Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks German (99.5%), with the rest speaking Norwegian ( 0.5%).[5]

As of 2000, the gender distribution of the population was 49.3% male and 50.7% female.[6] The age distribution, as of 2000, in Furna is; 34 children or 16.7% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 17 teenagers or 8.3% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 24 people or 11.8% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 27 people or 13.2% are between 30 and 39, 24 people or 11.8% are between 40 and 49, and 22 people or 10.8% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 24 people or 11.8% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 26 people or 12.7% are between 70 and 79, there are 6 people or 2.9% who are between 80 and 89.[4]

In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the SVP which received 49.8% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the FDP (23%), the local, small right-wing parties (13.8%) and the SP (13%).[5]

The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Furna about 60.8% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).[5]

Furna has an unemployment rate of 0%. As of 2005, there were 52 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 21 businesses involved in this sector. 4 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 3 businesses in this sector. 17 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 7 businesses in this sector.[5]

The historical population is given in the following table:[3]

year population
1850 216
1900 209
1950 222
2000 204

Geography[edit]

View from the Furna Hinterberg over the alpine road toward Alp Lerch

Furna has an area, as of 2006, of 33.3 km2 (12.9 sq mi). Of this area, 51.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 38.3% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.3% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (9%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).[5]

Before 2017, the municipality was located in the Jenaz sub-district of the Prättigau/Davos district, after 2017 it was part of the Prättigau/Davos Region.[7] It is a scattered settlement high above the valley. It consists of the village of Furna which is divided into Hinter-, Mittel- and Usserberg, as well as the seasonally occupied settlement of Furnerberg.

References[edit]

  1. ^ Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
  2. ^ a b Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (German) accessed 30 August 2016
  3. ^ a b Furna in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
  4. ^ a b Graubunden Population Statistics Archived August 27, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (German) accessed 21 September 2009
  5. ^ a b c d e Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived January 5, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. accessed 28-Oct-2009
  6. ^ Graubunden in Numbers Archived September 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (German) accessed 21 September 2009
  7. ^ Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz - Mutationsmeldungen 2016 accessed 16 February 2017

External links[edit]