(185-): Various frequencies
|Publication date||(Antarctic Press)
November 1991–March 1997
|No. of issues||(Antarctic Press)
51 (not including spin-offs)
141 (not including spin-offs)
First published in 1991, Furrlough originally featured military-themed comic book stories with anthropomorphic characters. But as more issues were published, the comic expanded to also include action, adventure, fantasy and sci-fi stories as well. In 1997, Antarctic Press underwent a restructuring in an attempt to focus on more mainstream comics, and in the process several comic books were dropped, including Furrlough and its sister title, Genus. However, these books were still popular and profitable, so two former Antarctic Press employees decided to continue publishing them under a brand-new comic company, Radio Comix.
Radio Comix began publishing Furrlough with issue #52 in April 1997, and was published monthly until early 2008 when the frequency of publication began to vary. As of February 2013, 192 issues have been published (not including spin-offs), with several hundred contributors appearing over the years (with 187 writers & artists in the first 99 issues).
The first full-color issue of Furrlough, Furrlough Color Special #1, arrived in comic book shops on June 17, 2009. The first square-bound issue of Furrlough, Furrlough #190, arrived in comic book shops on September 9, 2010.
The most popular stories to appear in Furrlough (as voted by its readers) include: Full Knight Gear by Michael Vega, Heebas by Scotty Arsenault, The Otters by Scott Mills, Stosstrupp by Ted Sheppard, and Tall Tails by Daphne Lage.
The first issue's most notable stories was the first appearance of Joe Rosales' Romanics and Ted Sheppard's Stosstrupp, which both are among the most popular in Furrlough's Top 100 stories. Romanics stories were published in Furrlough over the years including Best of Furrlough volume 1 and Furrlough's Finest #1.
Stosstrupp was published in its own publication (Stosstrupp Review). This was something which would happen to several stories appearing in Furrlough: including Collars and Cuffs, Guardian Knights (published by Limelight), Here Comes a Candle (Shanda Fantasy Arts), Misty the Mouse (Shanda) and Zaibatsu Tears (Limelight)
Issues with indexes
- Furrlough #83 with Furrlough Index (first printed index in an issue of Furrlough?)
- Furrlough #100 with
- The Complete Furrlough Index part 2 - (#83 to #99)
- The Complete Furrlough Artist Index (#1 through #99)
- Furrlough #107 with Furrlough Index part 3
- Furrlough #119 with Furrlough Index part 4
- Furrlough #185 with Furrlough Index Part 5
- Plowright, Frank (2003). The Slings & Arrows Comic Guide (2 ed.). Slings & Arrows. p. 258. ISBN 0954458907.
- René A. Guzman (October 9, 2011). "S.A.'s Radio Comix specializes in anthropomorphic characters.". San Antonio Express-News. Archived from the original on 5 November 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- Michigan State University Libraries catalog - Furrlough. Retrieved 2009 November 25.
- Diamond Comic Distributors shipping list for 2013 February 13 at a Diamond Comic Distributors website. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- The Complete Furrlough Index, part two in Furrlough #100
- Diamond Comic Distributors shipping list for 2009 June 17 at a Diamond Comic Distributors website. Retrieved September 29, 2010.
- Furrlough #190 in Radio Comix Store. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- Diamond Comic Distributors shipping list for 2010 September 9 at a Diamond Comic Distributors website. Retrieved September 29, 2010.
- Top 100 Furrlough Stories December 2008!. Retrieved 2009 March 21.