Furth im Wald
|Furth im Wald|
|• Mayor||Sandro Bauer (CSU)|
|• Total||67.00 km2 (25.87 sq mi)|
|Elevation||407 m (1,335 ft)|
|• Density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||0 99 73|
Furth im Wald is a city in the District of Cham, in Bavaria, Germany, near the Czech border. It is situated in the Bavarian Forest, 16 kilometres (9.9 miles) northeast of Cham, and 17 kilometres (11 miles) southwest of Domažlice. The city is known as Drachenstadt (Dragon City) in reference to Furth im Wald's annual Drachenstich (Slaying of the Dragon) play. The Drachenstich, originally part of a Corpus Christi procession, was first mentioned in 1590. As one of the oldest folk plays in the German language, each year actors re-enact the legend of Saint Georg slaying the dragon.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Aloys Fischer (1880–1937), educator
- Helmut Sturm (1932–2008), painter, member of the group SPUR, from 1980 to 1982 guest professor at the Berlin University of the Arts
- Willibald Utz (1893–1954), officer, most recently Generalleutnant in the Second World War
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). June 2016.
- "Drachenstich Festspiele". Drachenstich-Festspiele e.V. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
|This Cham district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|