The Futian incident (Chinese: 富田事变; pinyin: Fùtián shìbiàn) is the common title for the December 1930 purge of a battalion of the Jiangxi-Fujian Soviet's "Red Army" at Futian (now in the Ji'an's Qingyuan District). The Futian battalion's leaders had mutinied against Mao Zedong's purge of the Jiangxi Action Committee, ordered on the pretext of its alleged connection to the Anti-Bolshevik League and ties to Trotskyism.
In response to the Anti-Bolshevik League incident, the Futian battalion rebelled against Mao, claiming that Mao was attempting to arrest generals Zhu De and Peng Dehuai, and surrender to the KMT army. These claims were unfounded, but the rebellion highlights the friction that existed between factions of the Red Army during the early days of the Communist revolution. In response to the rebellion, 700 officers of the Futian battalion were arrested and executed, and the remnants of the battalion were absorbed into others.
During the Futian incident Zhu De and Peng Dehuai were unequivocal supporters of Mao, despite their different political positions. This allowed Mao's position as leader of the Red Army to be vindicated.
In September 1956, Mao admitted that the purges during the Anti-Bolshevik League incident, as well as the Futian incident, were a mistake, in which the wrong people were killed. In 1988, President Yang Shangkun commissioned an investigation into the Futian incident, which recommended the rehabilitation of the victims, but it was never followed up due to the Tiananmen Square protests and subsequent massacre.
- (Chinese)江西時期的紅色恐怖許行Google translation[dead link]
- (Chinese) 论ＡＢ团与富田事变的历史教训和启示 张丹君Google translation[dead link]
- (Chinese)高华：“肃ＡＢ团”事件的历史考察 Google translate[dead link]
- (Chinese)富田事变是如何定性为反革命事件的 《百年潮》 2008年第03期 笔者从新公布的共产国际有关中国革命的档案资料中发现,这一事件的发生与当时在上海的共产国际远东局也有一定的关系。 Google translation
- (Chinese)向青:富田事变：毛泽东初次大杀同志Google translation
- (Chinese) "富田事变"是我党历史最早的肃反重大悲剧，节选自中共往事Google translation
- (Chinese)毛泽东是怎样做了斯大林的老师, 张朴Google translation
- (Chines)富田事变：毛泽东早期历史疑案, 笔公Google translation
- (Chinese)共产国际对“富田事变”的态度 作者：李洪岩 中国社科院近代史所 Google translation