|Cultural origins||2012, United Kingdom|
Future house is a house music genre that emerged in the 2010s United Kingdom, described as a fusion of deep house, UK garage and incorporating other elements and techniques of other EDM genres.
The word was coined by French DJ Tchami. In an interview, he says that he tagged his tracks “Future House” on SoundCloud "as a defiant joke. It has never been about to launch a new genre. I guess people loved it and made it a new genre. That’s the beauty of internet. Future House basically means every tunes that push forward [the] House genre. Whatever it is. It’s open."
Future house is a subgenre of house music. Songs within the genre are normally characterized by a muted melody with a metallic, elastic-sounding drop and frequency-modulated basslines. The most common tempo is around 125 BPM, but it can vary around the 120-130 mark.
Heldens' international chart successes "Gecko (Overdrive)" and "Last All Night (Koala)" brought the genre to wider mainstream recognition in 2014, leading to minor feuds between him and Tchami on social media. Artists such as Don Diablo, Mike Williams, Mesto, Brooks and Curbi have since incorporated the sound into their work, leading some commentators to observe the commercialisation of the style.
- "Future House - Music Genres". RateYourMusic. Retrieved 5 February 2019.
- "Launchpad: Lose yourself in this sweeping house playlist". Dancing Astronaut. January 13, 2018. Retrieved February 8, 2018.
From the jackin’ house that pours out of Chicago to this day, characterized by its repetitive 4/4 beats, drum machine rhythms, off-beat hi-hat cymbals, and synthesized basslines, to the present tides of deep house and future house that are washing over the music world, the chances are high that listeners will fall in love with the genre
- "Laidback Luke Coins A New Genre: Future House Is Deep House Meets EDM". Pulseradio.net. 2014-10-03. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
- "Tchami Releases New EP: After Life". EDM Chicago. December 22, 2015. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Ferry Corsten Discusses New Album Blueprint Interview". Your EDM. June 3, 2017. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Tchami is Interviewed by 808sJake for Complex'". Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Tchami Talks Soundcloud, What 'Future House' is, Why the Clubs For Him and more!". Stoney Roads. Retrieved 2018-09-29.
- "Oliver Heldens' 20 Best Future House Songs Ever". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-01-26.
- Ghanem, Louis (November 21, 2017). "Oliver Helden's Billboard Top 20 Future House Songs". EDM Tunes'.
One of the pioneers of the genre is Dutch DJ/producer Oliver Heldens.
- Costello, Alexander (January 1, 2018). "Oliver Heldens' pioneering future-house track 'Gecko' turns 4 years old". We Rave You.
- "Oliver Heldens: 2 Future 4 You". DJ Mag. March 1, 2015.
- Cameron, John. "Vicetone Brings The Bounce To Future House With Catch Me". Wegotthiscovered.com. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- Jemayel Khawaja (January 27, 2015). "Tchami Does Not Fear the Rinsing of Future House". Thump - Vice. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- Brockelbank, Elliott. "Tchami Throws Shade at Oliver Heldens Over Future House Supremacy". EDMTunes. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
|This article about a music genre is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|