|Defunct||23 April 2018|
Futuremark Oy was a Finnish software development company that produced computer benchmark applications for home, business, and press use. Futuremark was acquired by UL on 31 October 2014, and was formally merged into the company on 23 April 2018.
Founded in 1997 as "Futuremark" by members of the former demoscene group Future Crew, the company is the leading producer of computer benchmark applications in the world. Its software is used by many computer review magazines and websites and is popular within the gaming community; high scores in its 3DMark benchmarks are considered as bragging rights among computer gamers who use it as a way to gauge their computer's performance relative to that of others'.
The 3DMark series has been the company's most popular and successful to date.
Futuremark's applications are distributed via the Internet as well as offline media. In addition to its benchmarking software, the company has also provided services such as IHV/ISV customised benchmarks, 3D demos as well as online and data services.
In January 2008, Futuremark announced the formation of the Futuremark Games Studio. In August 2008, at the Leipzig Games Convention, Futuremark Games Studio announced details of its first game, Shattered Horizon.
In December 2009, Futuremark's mobile and embedded business unit was spun off and renamed Rightware.
In March 2012, Futuremark sold its game development division to Rovio Entertainment (developer of the Angry Birds franchise) for an undisclosed sum. The sale was intended to allow the company to focus on its benchmarking software.
Smartphone and tablet benchmarks
- PCMark for Android
- Peacekeeper, web browser benchmark
- XL-R8R, based on 3DMark2000
- Video2000, video performance benchmark
- "UL Signals Strategic Expansion into Performance Benchmarking Services with Futuremark Acquisition | UL". UL. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "'Futuremark' Is No More; Benchmark Maker Adopts Parent Company's 'UL' Branding". Tom's Hardware. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- Futuremark press release Nov 9th 1999
- MadOnion press release Dec 11th 2002
- Futuremark press release Mar 7th 2007
- Futuremark press release Jan 29th 2008
- Futuremark press release Aug 19th 2008
- Angry Birds creator acquires games developer, visited 3 April 2012
- Ratcliffe, Chris (27 March 2012). ""Angry Birds" creator adds Futuremark Game Studio's team to fleet of talent". Bloomberg. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Hartley, Darleen (3 November 2014). "Futuremark Acquired by Underwriters Laboratories". Bright Side of News.