Fuzz in 2015
|Origin||California, United States|
|Genres||Hard rock, psychedelic rock, heavy metal, acid rock|
|Labels||Trouble In Mind, In the Red Records, Castle Face Records, Famous Class|
|Associated acts||Ty Segall Band, Meatbodies, Moonhearts|
|Past members||Roland Cosio|
Created as an outlet for Moothart's affection for hard rock riffs, Fuzz began as collaboration between Moothart and Segall, while Moothart performed in Segall's live band. In 2012, the pair released two singles, "This Time I Got a Reason" and "Sleigh Ride", and were joined by bass guitarist Roland Cosio.
In October 2013, the band released its self-titled debut album, Fuzz. While touring the album, Chad Ubovich (Meatbodies and Mikal Cronin Band) replaced Cosio on bass. In October 2015, Fuzz released their second album, entitled II, written in a more collaborative manner than the band members were used to.
Regarding the band's origins, vocalist and guitarist Charles Moothart noted that the project began at his home: "I was sitting in my house one day, before I was in Ty's band or anything, wondering how hard it would be to write a hard rock song. I was trying to figure out if it'd be ridiculous, or sound like shit. I just tried and then eventually showed the stuff to Ty. He was stoked on it and then we tried to jam together. It was really more to have fun. He mentioned playing drums. We wanted to play music like that, just to see if it was possible."
Addition of Chad Ubovich and II (2015)
Upon joining the band, bass guitarist Chad Ubovich noted that the writing process for II differed from their previous collaborations and projects with one another: “We all kind of did something we’ve never done before, which was write together as a band. That was a first for all of us. Usually in our respective projects it’s all about writing on our own, and that process. This time we tried something definitely new.". Still in Rock tied the album with Mac Demarco's Another One for the 3rd best album of 2015.
Singles and EPs
- This Time I Got A Reason/Fuzz's Fourth Dream – 7" (2012, Trouble In Mind)
- Sleigh Ride/You Won't See Me – 7" (2013, In the Red)
- Live in San Francisco EP – 12" (2013, Castle Face Records)
- Sunderberry Dream/21st Century Schizoid Man – 7" (2013, In the Red)
- Till the End of the Day (Kinks cover) – 7" (2014, Famous Class)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-11-19. Retrieved 2015-10-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Thomas-Hansard, Artemis. "Heavy Rockers Fuzz Go For a "Way More Evil" Sound on Second LP". laweekly.com. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- Joyce, Colin. "The Logic of Fuzz". interviewmagazine.com. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- Best LPs of 2015 – Top 20 “Still in Rock”