Location in DeKalb County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||4.4 sq mi (11.4 km2)|
|• Land||4.4 sq mi (11.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,289 ft (393 m)|
|• Density||220.7/sq mi (85.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0150246|
An EF4 tornado struck this city on April 27, 2011, touching down in Lakeview, initially causing structural damage to small buildings and snapping trees. It grew in intensity, causing major structural damage to several homes and buildings before moving on to Rainsville, where damage was even more extensive.
Fyffe is located at .
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.4 square miles (11 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the 2010 census Fyffe had a population of 1,018. There were 418 households. The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 93.7% non-Hispanic white, 0.3% African American, 1.5% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 1.1% from some other race, 2.5% from two or more races and 1.3% Hispanic or Latino or any race.
As of 2000, there are 971 people, 411 households, and 286 families residing in the town. The population density is 220.5 inhabitants per square mile (85.2/km²). There are 458 housing units at an average density of 40.2 persons/km² (104.0 persons/mi²). The racial make-up of the town is 94.03% White, 0.93% African American, 1.24% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 1.13% from other races, and 2.37% from two or more races. 1.85% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 411 households out of which 30.2% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.5% are married couples living together, 11.4% have a woman whose husband does not live with her, and 30.2% are non-families. 28.7% of all households are made up of individuals and 14.4% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.36 and the average family size is 2.84.
In the town the population is spread out with 23.9% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 17.2% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 37 years. For every 100 females there are 85.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 85.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town is $30,298, and the median income for a family is $31,908. Males have a median income of $30,385 versus $18,636 for females. The per capita income for the town is $13,713. 21.6% of the population and 13.7% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 33.6% are under the age of 18 and 19.9% are 65 or older.
Fyffe has a Mayor/Council form of government.
Arts and culture
The town of Fyffe was the location of UFO sightings on Friday and Saturday, February 11–12, 1989. More than fifty people (at a time when the town of less than two thousand residents) called the Fyffe Police Department to report sightings on two separate occasions. This was later discussed and ridiculed by late comedian Bill Hicks on his album (and video) "Relentless".
As a way of remembering the UFO sightings, Fyffe is home to an annual UFO (Unforgettable Family Outing) Festival every August and features hot air balloon rides available to the public as well as musical entertainment and outdoor games.
- Vestal Goodman, Southern Gospel artist, founding member of the Happy Goodman Family
- Lowell Barron, Politician
- Charlie Long, former professional football player
- "De Kalb County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Smith Katie (Jun 17, 1984). "Names often lend special air to places". Gadsden Times. pp. B1. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013". Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- 2010 general profile of population and housing characteristics of Fyffe from the US census
- The History of the Fyffe, Alabama UFO Sightings and the Purpose of the UFO Days Festival, yahoo.com
- Fyffe - Bill Hicks:Relentless Quotes, subzin.com