Gérard Lopez (businessman)
|Born||27 December 1971
|Alma mater||Miami University|
|Occupation||Co-founder and Chairman of Genii Capital
Founding Managing Partner of Mangrove Capital Partners
Chairman and CEO of Nekton
Gerard Lopez (born 27 December 1971) is a Luxembourgish-Spanish entrepreneur and businessperson. Alongside Eric Lux, he is a founding partner of The Genii Group. He is the chairman and team principal of the Lotus Formula One team and of its majority owner, Genii Capital. He is also the co-founder of Mangrove Capital Partners (where he was managing partner for 14 years) and the chairman and CEO of Nekton.
Lopez graduated from Miami University with a bachelor's degree in management information systems and operational management. He has started and run a number of businesses, including a Web development company, Icon Solutions, and a leasing company, ProLease. Lopez remains an active investor in different private equity classes, ranging from early-stage technology to real estate investments. In June 2012, Lopez participated in the Leadership series at the St Petersburg International Economic Forum on 'Identifying the next big thing'.
With Mark Tluszcz, he founded Mangrove Capital Partners, a leading venture capital firm specialising in technology, an early investor in Skype. Lopez became involved in motorsport through Mangrove's operations with the Gravity Sport Management company. He has also taken part in endurance racing through the Gravity Racing International team.
In 2008, he co-founded Genii Capital, a private investment management and financial advisory firm, with Eric Lux. Lopez sits on the board of Wix, Zink Imaging and Lotus F1 Team, as well as being a member of the Advisory Council for Miami University Business School.
As from 2015 he is the chairman and CEO of Nekton. Nekton is an investment and brokerage firm in the energy field. Its activities are located in Latin America, Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe.
Lopez's companies appear extensively in the Panama Papers, the huge leak of information from the Panama law firm Mossack Fonseca, which show the host of ways in which the rich can exploit secretive offshore tax regimes. Lopez has given the UK Conservative party £400,000, "raising concerns about the party’s plans to crack down on offshore funds".
||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- "Mr Gerard Lopez". DIRECTORCHECK. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- genii-capital.com 2011 "Gerard Lopez, Chairman of Genii Capital: “Genii Capital is a Private Investment Management and Financial Advisory Firm serving the needs of Investors, International Groups and Governments worldwide."
- Gerard LOPEZ Founder & Managing Partner of Mangrove Capital Partners, Founder & Chairman of GENII Capital, Luxembourg
- thegeniigroup.com Sir Jackie Stewart becomes a partner in Genii Business Exchange "Gerard Lopez: “The name of Jackie Stewart enjoys international renown in the world of motor sport as well as in industry."
- The International Economic Forum of the Americas "Gerard is the chairman and CEO of Nekton"
- "Profile: Genii's Gerard Lopez". racer.com. Haymarket Group. 2009-12-16.
- "St Petersburg International Economic Forum programme". 2012-06-21. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- Private Equity Wire "Gerard Lopez to lead new Russia-focused infrastructure investment group"