|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
1 October 1780
Kroppa, Värmland County
|Died||22 March 1851
|Other names||Georg Wahlenberg|
|Occupation||Chair of Botany and Medicine|
|Known for||Plant geography|
|Predecessor||Carl Peter Thunberg|
Wahlenberg matriculated at Uppsala University in 1792, received his doctorate in Medicine in 1806, was appointed botanices demonstrator in 1814, and professor of medicine and botany in 1829, succeeding Carl Peter Thunberg. He was the last holder of the undivided chair that in the previous century had been held by Linnaeus. After his death in 1851, the chair was divided into more delimited professorships, and botany became the main duty of the borgströmian professorship, at the time held by Elias Fries.
Wahlenberg made his main work in the field of plant geography and published, among other things the Flora lapponica (1812) and other works on the plant world of northernmost Sweden. He was among the first major scholars to contribute to the plant taxonomy and geography of the High Tatras in the Habsburg Monarchy where he carried out research in 1813 (he also determined mountain elevations, but some were later disproved by Ludwig Greiner). Two of the highest mountain lakes in the Tatras, now in Slovakia, are named Upper Wahlenberg Tarn (Vyšné Wahlenbergovo pleso; elevation 2,157 m or 7,077 ft) and Lower Wahlenberg Tarn (Nižné Wahlenbergovo pleso; 2,053 m or 6,736 ft) in his memory.
Wahlenberg was elected a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1808.
- Wahlenbergfjord, a fjord named in his honour.
- Furkotská Valley with Upper and Lower Wahlenberg Lakes.
- "Australian Floral Emblems - Wahlenbergia gloriosa". Reprinted from an issue of a newsletter of the Canberra Region of SGAP. Australian Plants Online. September 1982. Archived from the original on 23 December 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Luzula wahlenbergii Rupr.". The Flora of Svalbard. Svalbardflora.net. Archived from the original on 21 December 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Author Query for 'Wahlenb.'". International Plant Names Index.