Götalandsbanan (the Gothia line) is a planned high-speed railway planned to be built between Södertälje and Gothenburg in Sweden, past Linköping and Jönköping. The planned length is about 440 km (270 mi). The speed is planned to be 320 km/h (200 mph).
It will, if built, be used for passenger trains going between Gothenburg-Stockholm, Gothenburg-Borås, Malmö-Linköping-Stockholm, Linköping-Stockholm and more connections. The travel time Gothenburg-Stockholm is expected to be 2:00 to 2:15 compared to 2:45 to 3:00 today. The travel time (Malmö-)Linköping-Stockholm would be cut by 40 min, Jönköping-Borås by 40 min and Gothenburg-Borås by 20 min. A more dense schedule is possible as well. It is also planned to have railway stations at the Göteborg Landvetter Airport and the Stockholm-Skavsta Airport. The disadvantage with the project is the big cost.
Current planning stage
The railway has a detailed plan between Gothenburg-Borås, and between Linköping-Södertälje (this part is called Ostlänken). Detailed planning is being done between Borås-Linköping. It was announced in August 2012 that the Swedish government had decided to proceed with Ostlänken. The announcement also contained details of the proposed double-tracking upgrade between Mölnlycke and Bollebygd as part of the programme, though the announcement didn't say what has happened to the original plan to build a station on the presumably-discontinued section of high-speed line between Mölnlycke and Bollebygd serving Göteborg Landvetter Airport (which is currently a few kilometres away from the existing railway line).
The railway is covered under Sverigeförhandlingen, a government negotiation process providing funding for high-speed rail projects in Sweden.
The Gothenburg–Borås railway has been divided into three sections: (Gothenburg–) Almedal–Mölnlycke, Mölnlycke–Bollebygd (via Göteborg Landvetter Airport), and Bollebygd–Borås. The total cost of the project is expected to be 33 billion SEK (€3.5 billion) at 2015 price levels.
- Almedal–Mölnlycke and Bollebygd–Borås: On both sections, work on selecting a corridor in which the railway will run was expected to be finished in 2017. However, this has been affected by the work with Sverigeförhandlingen.
- Mölnlycke–Bollebygd: A corridor was selected in 2007. As of 2017[update], a railway plan, where the exact route will be selected, is being drafted. Originally, construction was planned to begin in 2020. A new construction date will be announced at the earliest in spring 2018.
As of 2017[update], a strategic choice of measures study (åtgärdsvalsstudie) for the Borås–Linköping section is expected to be finished in early 2018. An advance copy of the study was released on 15 February 2017.
Europabanan, the high-speed line to Malmö, is planned to branch from Götalandsbanan in Jönköping. In Jönköping, the railway will pass south of the city centre, where a new station will be built.
As of 2017[update], an up to 2 km (1.2 mi) wide corridor, in which the East Link will run, has been selected. A railway plan is being drafted. Construction is expected to begin in November 2017, with the Kardon Line (Kardonbanan), a new freight line connecting Norrköping Harbour with the Southern Main Line, since the East Link will cut off the old connection. Full construction is expected to commence in 2021, with operation in 2033–2035.
- "Swedish high speed lines to go ahead". Railway Gazette International. 2012-08-29.
- "Om oss" [About us] (in Swedish). Sverigeförhandlingen. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "The Gothenburg–Borås Project". Swedish Transport Administration. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "Frågor och svar om Bollebygd–Borås" [Bollebygd–Borås FAQ] (in Swedish). Swedish Transport Administration. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "Informationsblad november 2016" [Information folder November 2016] (PDF). Informationsblad till närboende och företag med fokus på delen Mölnlycke–Bollebygd (in Swedish). Swedish Transport Administration. November 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
I järnvägsplanen arbetar vi med var järnvägen ska gå och hur den ska utformas inom den korridor som beslutades 2007.
- "Delen Mölnlycke–Bollebygd" [Mölnlycke–Bollebygd section] (in Swedish). Swedish Transport Administration. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- Åtgärdsvalsstudie Höghastighetsjärnväg Linköping–Borås. Förhandskopia 2017-02-15 [Strategic choice of measures study High-speed railway Linköping–Borås. Advance copy 2017-02-15] (PDF) (Report) (in Swedish). Swedish Transport Administration. 2017-02-15. p. 3.
- Liebermann, Andreas; Jönsson, Oskar; TT (2016-02-01). "Här stannar nya snabbtåget" [Here the new high-speed train will stop]. SVT Nyheter (in Swedish). Sveriges Television. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "Jönköping- navet i järnvägssystemet" [Jönköping- the hub in the railway system] (in Swedish). Jönköping Municipality. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "Ny godsjärnväg och bangård" [New freight railway and rail yard] (in Swedish). Swedish Transport Administration. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Zetterdahl, Christian S. (2017-08-31). Vad är Kardonbanan? [What is the Kardon Line?] (Video) (in Swedish). Sveriges Television. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- "Frågor och svar om projekt Ostlänken" [East Link Project FAQ] (in Swedish). Swedish Transport Administration. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Götalandsbanan, on Swedish Transport Administration website (in Swedish)
- Götalandsbanan, The Götaland Line, by Swedish Transport Administration (in English)
- Swedish Transport Administration page on the Gothenburg–Borås line (in English)
- Sverigeförhandlingen, a negotiation organisation set up by the Swedish government
|This European rail transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transport in Sweden is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|