Günter Neuhold (born November 2, 1947 in Graz) is an Austrian conductor. He attended the Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Graz and graduated in 1968 with a master's degree. He later studied conducting with Franco Ferrara in Rome and with Hans Swarowsky in Vienna.
At the Dortmund, Neuhold served as first conductor. His prizes at various music competitions have included:
- Florence, 1st prize, 1976
- San Remo ("Marinuzzi"), 1st prize, 1976
- Vienna ("Swarowsky"), 2nd prize, 1977
- Salzburg ("Böhm"), 1st prize, 1977
- Milan ("Cantelli") 3rd prize, 1977
From 1981 to 1986, Neuhold was music director of the Teatro Regio di Parma. He has also served as chief conductor of the Orchestra Sinfonica "Arturo Toscanini" From 1986 to 1990, Neuhold was chief conductor and music director of the Royal Flemish Philharmonic. He was general music director of the Badische Staatskapelle from 1989 to 1995. From 1995 to 2002, he was chief conductor of the Bremer Philharmoniker (Bremen Philharmonic) and music director at the Bremen opera. Since 2008 he has been chief conductor and artistic director of the Bilbao Orkestra Sinfonikoa (BOS; Bilbao Symphony Orchestra). In April 2010, the orchestra announced the extension of Neuhold's contract with the BOS for another 3 years.
Neuhold has led commercial recordings for such labels as Naxos Records, Brilliant Classics and Bella Musica. These recorded works include: the second of only two recordings of the original 1904 version of Puccini's Madama Butterfly, Bruckner: Symphony No. 4, Bach's St Matthew Passion and a live recording of Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen.
- 1999: Grand Decoration of Honour in Silver for Services to the Republic of Austria 
- 2007: Berufstitel Professor 2007: title of Professor
- JS Bach: St. Matthew Passion
- B. Bartók: Bluebeard's Castle, Concerto for Orchestra,
- A. Berg: 3 Orchestral Pieces, Opus 6
- H. Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust
- J. Brahms: Brahms: Symphony 1
- A. Bruckner: Symphony 4
- C. Franck: Symphony in D minor
- Z. Kodály: Hary Janos Suite, Dances of Galanta
- F. Liszt-F. Schreker: Concerto for Jazz Band etc.
- G. Mahler: Mahler: Symphony No. 1, 2, 3, 5
- H. Marschner: Der Vampyr
- G. Puccini: Madama Butterfly (1904)
- W. Rihm: Portrait Concert
- A. Schnittke: Piano Concerto
- A. Schoenberg: Gurre-Lieder (reduced orchestra by Erwin Stein)
- F. Schreker: Chamber Symphony
- E. Schulhoff: Piano Concerto
- Josef Strauss, Johann Strauss: "Strauss Dynasty"
- I. Strawinsky: Le sacre du printemps
- PI Tschaikowsky: Symphony No 5
- G. Verdi: Messa da Requiem
- R. Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen
- Wolf-Ferrari: La Vita Nuova
- M. Redondo (2010-04-24). "Gunter Neuhold renueva tres años como director de la Sinfónica de Bilbao". Deia. Archived from the original on 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2010-12-24.
- "Reply to a parliamentary question about the Decoration of Honour" (pdf) (in German). p. 1266. Retrieved November 2012. Check date values in:
- Official Günter Neuhold webpage
- Bilbao Orkestra Sinfonikoa biography of Neuhold
- Naxos Records biography of Neuhold
- Bach Cantatas page on Neuhold
|Chief Conductor, deFilharmonie
José Maria Collado
|Chief Conductor, Badische Staatskapelle
|Chief Conductor, Bremer Philharmoniker